|Department/School||Civil and Environmental Engineering|
|Faculty||Faculty of Engineering|
Fall (September - December)
Winter (January - April)
Spring (May - August)
|Application and document submission deadline(s)||
February 1 (for admission in September)*
June 1 (for admission in January of the following year)*
October 1 (for admission in May of the following year)*
|Program type||Collaborative, Doctoral, Research|
|Length of program||48 months (full-time)|
|Registration option(s)||Full-time, Part-time|
What does it take to get in?
Minimum admission requirements
- A Master's degree, an 80% average in coursework and evidence of ability to pursue independent research.
- Review the finding a supervisor resources
- Supplementary information form (SIF)
- The SIF contains questions specific to your program, typically about why you want to enrol and your experience in that field. Review the application documents web page for more information about this requirement
- If a statement or letter is required by your program, review the writing your personal statement resources for helpful tips and tricks on completion
- Three references are required; at least two from academic sources
- Proof of English language proficiency, if applicable
- TOEFL 80 (writing 22, speaking 20, reading 20, listening 18), IELTS 6.5 (writing 6.0, speaking 6.0)
How much will it cost?
- Use the student budget calculator to estimate your cost and resources
- Visit the graduate program tuition page on the Finance website to determine the tuition and incidental fees per term for your program
- Review the study and living costs
- Review the funding graduate school resources for graduate students
What can you expect at Waterloo?
- Review the degree requirements in the Graduate Studies Academic Calendar, including the courses that you can anticipate taking as part of completing the degree
- Check out profiles of current graduate students to learn about their experience at Waterloo
- Check out Waterloo's institutional thesis repository - UWspace to see recent submissions from the department of Civil and Environmental Engineering graduate students
- Check out the Waterloo campus and city tours
- Review the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering website to see information about supervisors, research areas, news, and events