What is happening? As an extension of the N: drive to OneDrive project and the move to SharePoint Online, IST will work with Academic Support Units (ASUs) to migrate content from the network file solution, R: drive (\\filed), which uses the NetApp service, to SharePoint Online and/or Teams.
Why is this happening? In comparison to the R: drive, SharePoint Online and/or Teams offers a more user-friendly and robust file storage solution, providing a greater amount of storage space and allowing users to access, share, and collaborate on files from anywhere on any device. Visit the Migrating R: drives to SharePoint and/or Teams project page for more benefits.
What do I need to know?
- In preparation for this change, IST will pilot the migration process, create a migration plan, and ensure the necessary documentation and supports are available.
- It is anticipated that users in Academic Support Units with IST-managed Windows machines will begin migrations from R: drive to SharePoint Online and/or Teams in the Fall 2022 term (migration schedule to be confirmed and communicated). IST will work with ASUs to determine the most appropriate migration path.
- Creation of new R: drives will cease immediately for ASUs. These groups are encouraged to use Teams or SharePoint Online. IST will provide assistance if needed.
- Participating faculties ready to begin R: drive to SharePoint Online and/or Teams migrations can contact IST for assistance.
- Migrating R: drives to SharePoint Online and/or Teams project page
- Get started with SharePoint Online (Microsoft 365 Learning Pathways site)
- Get started with Microsoft Teams (Microsoft 365 Learning Pathways site)
- IST Knowledge Base support articles – SharePoint Online (KB articles coming soon)
- IST Knowledge Base support articles - Teams
Questions or concerns? Please contact Andrew McAlorum (firstname.lastname@example.org)