Incentive offered: Prize offered for the 2020 National Survey of Student Engagement includes:
- $5 added to student WatCards (within two weeks of survey submission)
- Chance to win one (1) of six (6) $100 Amazon.ca giftcards (weekly draw).
2023 National Survey of Student Enagement (NSSE) $5 Watcard Incentive Rules
First-year undergraduate students (who were registered in a degree program at the University of Waterloo in fall 2022 and are currently enrolled in the winter 2023 term) and graduating (final year) students (who were registered in a degree program at the University in fall 2022 and eligible to graduate in spring 2023), who received a NSSE invitation and submit their responses to the 2023 NSSE survey by April 10, 2023 will receive $5.00 added to their student WatCards (within two weeks of survey submission).
If you choose not to participate in the survey, you will not be eligible for the $5 WatCard incentive.
2023 National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE) Weekly Prize Official Contest Rules
1) Sponsor. The 2023 National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE) Weekly Prize Contest (Contest) is sponsored by the University of Waterloo, 200 University Avenue West Waterloo, ON, Canada N2L 3G1 (Sponsor).
2) Eligibility. This Contest is open to University of Waterloo fall 2022 first-year and graduating year undergraduate students who are legal residents of Canada, [excluding Quebec], and international students actively registered with the University of Waterloo and physically present in Canada (excluding Quebec) under a valid study permit, who are at least 13 years of age at the time of entry. In the case of individuals between the age of 13 and the age of majority in their province or territory of residence, such individual's parent or legal guardian must consent to these rules and their child's entry in the contest. Employees of the Sponsor, its parent, related and affiliated companies, subsidiaries, departments or agencies, franchisees, suppliers, advertising and promotional agencies, contest administrators, and any other parties engaged in the development, production, or distribution of Contest materials, and those living in the same household are not eligible to enter. By participating in this Contest, entrants, or their parent or legal guardian, as applicable, acknowledge compliance with, and agree to be bound by, these Contest Rules. Entrants, or their parent or legal guardian, as applicable, who do not comply with any of the Contest Rules are subject to disqualification by the Sponsor, in Sponsor’s sole discretion.
3) Contest Dates and Times. The Contest begins on March 1, 2023, at 9:00 a.m. EST and ends on April 10, 2023, at 11:59 p.m. EST (Contest End Date), after which time the Contest will be closed and no further entries will be accepted.
How to Enter. Entrants, or their parent or legal guardian, as applicable, can enter by clicking on the NSSE survey link in the invitation emails, reminder emails, or on LEARN (the “Email”) and following the on-screen instructions to participate and submit their responses to the 2023 National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE) (the “Survey”). Upon submitting their Survey in accordance with these Rules, participants will be eligible to receive one (1) entry (an “Entry”).
For this Contest, receipt of an internet entry occurs when Sponsor's server records the entry information. All entries must be complete and are subject to verification by the Sponsor, in its sole discretion.
There is a limit of one (1) Entry per person and per email address (regardless of the method of entry). The contest is open to University of Waterloo first-year and graduating (final year) undergraduate students who were enrolled in fall 2022 who received a NSSE invitation over email or through LEARN (the “Email”) directly from or on behalf of the University of Waterloo (the “Sponsor”) and submitted their responses to the 2023 NSSE survey.
Alternatively, to obtain one (1) Entry in the Contest without completing the Survey, print your first name, last name, complete mailing address (including postal code), valid email address, age and signature on a plain white piece of paper and mail it (in an envelope with sufficient Canadian postage) along with a 25 word or more unique and original essay on why you want to enter the Contest to: Institutional Analysis and Planning (IAP), NH 3018, 201 University Avenue West, Waterloo, ON, N2L 3G1] (a “Request”). Upon receipt of a valid Request in accordance with these Rules, you will be eligible to receive one (1) Entry in the Contest. To be eligible, your Request must: (i) be received separately in an envelope bearing sufficient Canadian postage (i.e., multiple Requests in the same envelope will be void); and (ii) be post-marked during the Contest Period and received prior to the Selection Date (defined below). The Sponsor takes no responsibility for any lost, stolen, delayed, illegible, damaged, misdirected, late or destroyed Requests.
Any attempt or suspected attempt to use robotic, automatic, programmed or otherwise illicit means to enter the Contest, or any other methods not authorized by these Contest Rules, for example, but not limited to, creating multiple accounts, identities, or registrations, all in the Sponsor’s sole discretion, shall be deemed as tampering and may disqualify you from entering, participating and/or winning a prize. Entries that contain false or incomplete information are void. Entries that are late, lost, stolen, illegible, contain false information, are damaged, misdirected, mutilated, garbled or incomplete, altered or otherwise irregular or that do not conform with or satisfy any or all of the conditions of the Contest Rules are void. Entrants or their parents or legal guardians, as applicable, grant Sponsor a non-exclusive licence to use all entries for any purpose. No correspondence will be entered into except with Selected Entrants, as defined below. Proof of transmission (for example, screenshots or captures) does not constitute proof of entry or receipt of an entry.
4) Contest Prizes. There are six (6) prizes available to be won, each consisting of one (1) $100 CAD gift card for a retailer determined by the Sponsor, in its sole and absolute discretion (each, a “Prize”). The gift cards will be emailed to the recipient’s @uwaterloo email address.
All winners, or their parent or legal guardian, as applicable, assume any and all liability for any injury or damage caused, or claimed to be caused, by entering, participating in this Contest or the use or redemption of a prize. Prizes must be accepted as awarded and have no cash value. Prizes or any portion of a prize cannot be combined with other discounts, promotions, or special offers. The Sponsor reserves the right to substitute any Prize in whole or in part in the event that all or any component of such Prize is unavailable with a prize or prize component(s) of equal or greater retail value, including, without limitation, but solely at the Sponsor’s sole discretion, a cash award. All characteristics and features of the Prize, except as otherwise explicitly stated above, are at the Sponsor’s sole and absolute discretion. The Prize winner is solely responsible for all costs not expressly described herein. Prepaid cards are subject to all of the terms and conditions as stated by the issuer.
5) Odds of Winning. The odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received before the Contest End Date.
6) Skill-testing Question. Selected Entrants, or their parent(s) or legal guardian(s), as applicable, will be required, as a condition of winning a prize, to correctly answer, without assistance of any kind, the Sponsor’s time-limited, mathematical skill-testing question to be administered online, by email.
7) Winner Selection and Confirmation. On March 9, 16, 23, 30, April 6, 11, 2023 at 13:00 p.m. EST at University of Waterloo, 200 University Avenue West, Waterloo, ON, Canada N2L 3G1 (the “Draw Dates”) the Sponsor, or an employee, agent or other representative of the Sponsor, will conduct a random draw from all eligible entries received before Contest End Date and select the potential winners (Selected Entrants). Selected Entrants will be deemed winners if they meet all of the eligibility criteria set out in these Contest Rules. If a Selected Entrant does not meet the eligibility criteria, he/she will be disqualified and will not receive a prize and another entrant will be selected by way of a random draw from the remaining eligible entries. Before being declared a winner, Selected Entrants, or their parent(s) or legal guardian(s), as applicable, will be required to: (i) correctly answer the Sponsor’s skill-testing question; (ii) sign and return the Sponsor’s Declaration of Eligibility and Liability/Publicity Release form (Winner Release); and (iii) comply with all other Contest Rules, all in the sole discretion of Sponsor.
Selected Entrants, or their parent(s) or legal guardian(s), as applicable, will be notified within three (3) business days of the Draw Date and will be contacted through the @uwaterloo.ca email address or the email address provided at the time of entry into the Contest. Up to three (3) attempts will be made to contact Selected Entrants, or their parent(s) or legal guardian(s), as applicable, within five (5) business days following the Draw Dates A Selected Entrant, or their parent(s) or legal guardian(s), as applicable, that does not or cannot accept a prize may be forfeited and a new Selected Entrant will be selected by random draw, in the Sponsor’s sole discretion. A signed copy of the Sponsor’s Winner Release must be received by the Sponsor no later than the due date specified in the email sent to Selected Entrants (the “Winner Selection Email”). The Sponsor is not responsible for the failure for any reason whatsoever of a Selected Entrant, or their parent(s) or legal guardian(s), as applicable, to receive notification or for the Sponsor to receive a Selected Entrant’s (or their parent(s)' or legal guardian(s)', as applicable) response.
Disputes regarding identity of entrant: If the identity of a Selected Entrant is disputed, the entry will be deemed to have been submitted by the individual assigned to the email address entered at the time of entry (Authorized Account Holder) or the individual assigned to the email address to which the Email was sent and from which the survey responses were submitted. Each Selected Entrant, or their parent(s) or legal guardian(s), as applicable, may be required to provide proof that they are the Authorized Account Holder associated with a selected entry.
8) Release and Indemnification. All winners, or their parent(s) or legal guardian(s), as applicable, must sign the Sponsor’s Winner Release to: (i) confirm compliance with all Contest Rules; (ii) agree to accept prizes as awarded; (iii) release, discharge and hold harmless the Sponsor, its departments and agencies, parent, related and affiliated companies, subsidiaries, franchisees, advertising and promotional agencies, counsel, marketing partners, and each of their respective directors, officers, employees, shareholders, successors, sponsors, partners, licensees, subsidiaries, agents, artists, advisors, assignees, and all others associated with the administration, development and execution of the Contest (Released Parties) from and against any and all manner of action, cause of action, claim or demand, loss or injury, use or misuse of a prize or any travel related thereto, and the use of entries by the Sponsor, suit, debt, covenant, contract, including legal fees and expenses, whatsoever, including but not limited to, claims based on negligence, breach of contract and fundamental breach, failure of any third-party contractor or supplier used in connection with any aspect of the Contest to perform or deliver any goods or services, any act of God or any other event beyond the Released Parties’ control, any dissatisfaction of any kind by a winner, or their parent(s) or legal guardian(s), as applicable, with any aspect of the Contest or any prize, liability for physical injury, death, or property damage which the entrants, guests, their heirs, successors or assigns have, might have or could have suffered, by reason of or arising out of the entrant’s (or their parent(s) or legal guardian(s), as applicable) participation in the Contest and/or in connection with the acceptance and/or exercise by the entrant (or their parent(s) or legal guardian(s), as applicable) of prizes as awarded; and (iv) indemnify the Released Parties against any loss, damage or expense, including legal fees, that any of the Released Parties may suffer or incur as a result of any non-compliance by entrants (or their parent(s) or legal guardian(s), as applicable) with any of the Contest Rules or participation in the Contest and/or in connection with the acceptance and/or exercise by an entrant (or their parent(s) or legal guardian(s), as applicable) of a prize, and the use of entries by the Sponsor.
9) The Sponsor is not responsible for: (i) incorrect or inaccurate entry information that may affect a person’s ability to participate in the Contest or be awarded a prize, including but not limited to human error, technical malfunctions, lost or delayed entries for any reason, mail failures, omission, or any combination thereof, and entries that fail to fully comply with these Contest Rules; (ii) technical failures of any kind, including, but not limited to malfunctions, interruptions, or disconnections in phone lines or network hardware or software; (iii) lost, incomplete, delayed, mutilated or misdirected entries or Winner Releases; (iv) injury or damage to entrants’ (or their parent(s)' or legal guardian(s)' (as applicable) computers or to any other individual’s computer related to or resulting from participating in, or downloading any material regarding the Contest or accepting a prize; (v) any injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant’s (or their parent(s) or legal guardian(s), as applicable) participation in the Contest or receipt or use or misuse of any prize, including any related travel and the use of entries by Sponsor; (vi) the security or privacy of information transmitted via computer networks or for breaches of privacy due to interference by third-party computer hackers or otherwise; or (vii) late, lost, misdirected, or unsuccessful efforts to notify a potential winner.
10) Primacy of the Rules: In the event of any discrepancy or inconsistency between the terms and conditions of these Rules and disclosures or other statements contained in any Contest-related materials, including, but not limited to, any instructions or interpretations of these Rules given by any representative of the Sponsor, the terms and conditions of these Rules shall prevail, govern and control to the fullest extent permitted by law.
11) Severability. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of these Rules shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. In the event that any provision is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable or illegal, these Rules shall otherwise remain in effect and shall be construed in accordance with the terms as if the invalid or illegal provision were not contained herein.
12) Other Conditions. The Sponsor reserves the right to terminate or amend this Contest at any time and in any way, without prior notice to entrants (or their parent(s) or legal guardian(s), as applicable). Without limiting the foregoing, if, for any reason, the Contest is not capable of running as originally planned for any reason, the Sponsor reserves the right to cancel the Contest and conduct a random draw from all previously received eligible entries received by the Contest End Date.
14) Law. The Contest is void where prohibited by law and is subject to all applicable Canadian federal, provincial, territorial, municipal and local laws. This Contest shall be governed exclusively by the laws of the province of Ontario, and the laws of Canada applicable therein, including all issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Contest rules, rights and obligations between entrants (or their parent(s) or legal guardian(s), as applicable) and the Sponsor, and procedural provisions, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules. Any dispute shall be adjudicated by the courts sitting in Waterloo, Ontario.
15) Rule Amendments. The Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to amend or modify these Contest Rules, or modify, cancel or suspend this Contest, without prior notice for any reason whatsoever, including without limitation in the event that any cause beyond the reasonable control of the Sponsor corrupts, or threatens to corrupt, the security or proper administration of the Contest.
16) Intellectual Property. All intellectual property, including but not limited to trademarks, logos, designs, promotional materials, web pages, source codes, images, drawings, illustrations, slogans and representations are owned by the Sponsor. All rights reserved. Unauthorized copying or use of any of the Sponsor’s intellectual property without the express written consent of the Sponsor is strictly prohibited.
17) Use of Personal Information. By entering this Contest, each entrant, or their parent or legal guardian, as applicable, expressly consents to the Sponsor, its agents and/or representatives, collection, use, storing and sharing the personal information submitted for the purpose of administering the Contest under the authority of the University of Waterloo Act, 1972 and in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. F. 31 as amended, as well as in compliance with Sponsor’s policies (e.g., Policy 46) and guidelines. This section does not limit any other consent(s) that an individual may provide the Sponsor or others in relation to the collection, use and/or disclosure of their personal information. Personal Information will only be used for Contest sponsor(s) marketing purposes with the entrant's consent. Entrants acknowledge that questions regarding the processing of personal information associated with this Contest are to be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
© UNIVERSITY OF WATERLOO 2023. All Rights Reserved.