Purpose of Change Request
The change request form is the primary tool used for requesting, approving, and documenting changes to the project and is an important piece of the change management process. Project Managers must ensure proper change management control is enforced during the project to ensure the project remains within approved constraints, scope, and continues to deliver expected benefits.
Changes are inevitable, therefore must be managed properly.
Change Request Participants and Approvers
The change request form should typically be filled out by the individual or stakeholder requesting the change, although it may be filled out by the Project Manager to record the requested change.
Before the change can be approved, the Project Manager will lead the project team to analyze and document (on the form) the impact of the proposed change. The approver should be the Sponsor of the project.
- Requestor of the change should fill out Section 1 and 2 of the form and submit to the Project Manager
- The Project Manager will assess what type of investigation is required to determine the impact of the change. If the investigation will take significant time (i.e. will take resources away from project deliverables that could impact timelines), an approval from the Sponsor should be obtained in Section 3 to undergo the investigation.
- Complete the investigation to analyze the impact of the change. This may require time from project team members. The Project Manager and/or Requestor can now proceed to fill out Section 3 (impact)
- Submit the change request form to the sponsor for final approval of the change. The sponsor may choose to discuss the change with governance before approving.
- Sponsor approves or rejects the change.
- File the change request document in TeamDynamix.
For an approved change, update project management plan, RAID, schedule, and any other documentation that may need to be updated to reflect the change. Communicate the change to stakeholders, including team members and governance.
Continue with project execution, making the appropriate changes.