Welcome to Legal and Immigration Services

University of Waterloo sign


Thursday, June 6, 2024

Possible strike action by CBSA

On June 3, 2024, the Government of Canada and the Public Service Alliance of Canada (PSAC) began mediated negotiations with the goal of reaching an agreement on a renewed collective agreement for the Border Services Group. On June 11, 2024, PSAC and the federal government have come to a tentative agreement, avoiding any strike action or work to rule action by Canada Border Services Agency officers.

Although the Border Services Group was at a legal strike position should negotiations fail, 90% of front-line Border Services Officers occupy essential service positions and must continue to provide uninterrupted border services to protect the safety and security of the public.

If a strike were to take place, significant delays would have occurred and flagpoling for work, study or temporary permits would very likely be refused at all land ports of entry.

Please click on the links below for full access to the news articles:



Government of Canada introduces legislation for citizenship by descent

On May 23, 2024, The Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, introduced legislation that would extend citizenship by descent beyond the first generation in a way that is inclusive and protects the value of Canadian citizenship.

This legislation would automatically confer Canadian citizenship to persons born abroad to a Canadian parent who is also born abroad prior to the coming into force of this legislation. It would also extend access to a direct grant of citizenship to children born abroad and adopted by a Canadian parent beyond the first generation.

Please click on the link below for the full news release:


As of February 29, 2024, Immigration Canada has advised that Mexican citizens who hold a valid US non-immigrant visa or have held a Canadian visa in the past 10 years and are travelling by air on a Mexican passport will be able to apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Those who do not meet these conditions will need to apply for a Canadian Temporary Resident Visa (aka visitor visa).

The application process for Mexican citizens seeking a work or study permit will not change.

Please click on the link below for the full news release: