On Saturday, July 25 we held our annual Alumni Family Day online. Together with the Toronto and Waterloo Region Alumni Chapters, we planned a day for alumni and their families to join each other virtually for family-friendly events.
Zine Making: DIY Books
Join Olivia as she walks you through, step by step, how to fold your very own little book. A common method for zines (self-published tiny books), this style of book making will use one single sheet of paper cut and folded to make your very own 6-page book, creating a space of infinite possibility for you to fill! You may want to consider if your zine will have a theme, be instructional, tell a story – or if you’d like it to be a collage style selection of images, text and drawings. You can combine approaches, prepare in advance, or approach your zine as a blank canvas on the day of. The options are endless!
- 1 piece of 8.5”x11” paper (standard printer paper or similar)
- Glue stick
- Construction paper, cardstock or similar heavy paper (can be any colour!)
- Pen or pencil
- Anything else you’d like to use to decorate your book! Suggestions: stickers, markers, washi tape, stencils, origami paper, magazines, newspaper, coloured pens or pencils, crayons, ribbon, a recipe, quote, poem or piece of text, photos
or photocopies, sticky notes, pastels, etc.
Music and Storytelling
11:00 AM to 11:30 AM
For kids 4 and under: An interactive online music circle on zoom featuring some classic kids songs as well as my own original songs on guitar, accordion, and drum. Children should bring a drum or shaker and be ready to sing, move, and play.
11:30 AM to 12:00 PM
For kids 5 and over: An interactive online Storytelling Performance and workshop. Kids will play dramatic games and act out stories with some of the children performing different characters. Participants should bring a white towel, a pillow, and set up their computer so that their whole body can be seen (as opposed to only the face).
Activity 1-3: Three Environment/Earth Sciences activities in one session, led by Corina McDonald, Earth Sciences Museum curator. Kids will learn about the water that we drink: how it travels underground, and how important it is that we keep our water supply unpolluted.
Snappy Science plays with Wacky Water with Kayla Sutton.
Activity 4: In this activity led by Heather Neufeld, kids will make a model of our digestive system, learning how our bodies make use of the food that we eat. Yes, this is messy fun!
Three Snappy Science sessions with Kayla Sutton investigate the unexpected properties of everyday objects.
Check your supply list here.
Happy Hour - Magic and Music
Grab some snacks and drinks and get comfortable for two exciting performances!
Magic with James Alan - LIVE
Grab a deck of cards so you can participate in the interactive portion of the show.
Deezed Man Collective - RECORDED
A 30-minute virtual performance recorded from each of our homes! We’ll be playing a set list of tunes ranging from top 40’s to classics.
- Click on the link with the event above.
- Click "Watch on the web instead" to avoid downloading the app.
- Click "Join Anonymously" if you do not have a Teams account.
- Click on the link to join.
- Download the Zoom app or open in Zoom if you already have it installed.
- Join the meeting.
Contact us via email for assistance. We will be monitoring this email throughout the day on July 25.
Thank you to Waterloo's affinity partner BMO® Mastercard® for supporting this event.
This event has been planned in partnership with the Toronto and Waterloo Region Alumni Chapters.
Download activity book
Activity Book includes:
- Colouring pages
- Word searches
- Decode the messages
- Nature journal
- And more!
GooseChase Scavenger Hunt
The game will run Wednesday July 22 until Saturday, July 25 at 3:30 p.m. (EDT)
The winner will receive a $250 prepaid credit card provided by BMO® University of Waterloo Mastercard®! The winner will be announced at the final event of the day, Happy Hour - Magic and Music. The winner will be contacted initially through GooseChase so be sure to check your messages.
In the event of a tie, there will be a tie breaker challenge for the participants with the same high score.
How to play:
- Download the GooseChase Android or iPhone app.
- Log in or register for a personal account with an email, username, and password of your choice. Or select "Play as a Guest", however you will be limited to playing on only the device you start on.
- Tap the search icon and enter Alumni Family Day 2020. Or use the game code WKRQXL.
- Register your family as an individual player. Enter your family’s name.
- Once in the game, you will see the missions that are available to complete. To complete a mission, select it from the list and hit the “Snap Evidence” button.
- Make sure you’re completing missions accurately! (e.g. “take a picture with a zebra” means take a picture with a real zebra, not next to a zebra on a computer screen). Your game organizer can deduct points if your submission falls short.
- Using the navigation tabs, you can keep track of how you are doing via the activity feed and the leaderboard, see notifications from the game organizer or review (and resubmit) your previous submissions.
- Most importantly, have fun! Get innovative and interact with the Waterloo alumni community!
Social Media Prizes
Share a photo or video of your participation on Twitter or Instagram using #UWFamilyDay to be entered to win one of two prizes of $150 giftcard or online order from the W Store.
- We love #UWFamilyDay!
Shop Online at the W Store
Just in time for Alumni Family Day! W Store has released a brand-new collection of Waterloo Alumni apparel and gear. Now you can rep your Waterloo Alumni pride at home and on the go.
Extra Science Activities
ESQ - Weather Station