Whether you’re travelling for school or leisure, you want the right medical advice for your destination, activities, and health status. The travel experts at Health Services are physicians and nurses who offer complete pre and post-travel consultations to ensure a safe trip and problem-free return.
Booking your travel clinic appointment
Since many immunizations must be given well in advance of travel, we recommend scheduling your travel clinic visit at least 6-8 weeks before your departure.
Travel Clinic visits are by appointment only. Call 519-888-4096 to book your appointment.
Travel Clinic appointments are available:
- Monday evenings, beginning at 4:00 p.m.
- Thursday afternoons, beginning at 1:00 p.m.
What to bring along
- Your immunization record
- A detailed itinerary of your trip
- A current medication list with dosage information
What to expect
During your travel consultation, you will meet with a travel nurse, as well as a certified Travel Medicine physician. You will receive medical guidance specific to your travel plans and tips on how to stay healthy, for example:
- Vaccines needed to protect yourself against hepatitis A, hepatitis B, typhoid, yellow fever, meningitis, Japanese encephalitis, and cholera
- Boosters for tetanus, measles, mumps and rubella, or the influenza vaccine during regional outbreaks
- Food and water precautions
- When to treat travellers’ diarrhea with antibiotics
- How to protect yourself against insect-borne diseases
- How to prevent altitude sickness, motion sickness and jet lag
- What over-the-counter medications to take with you
There are fees associated with Travel Clinic visits, with travel vaccinations, and with some vaccines as travel medicine is not covered by the Canadian public health system (e.g. OHIP). Some private insurance companies may provide coverage for certain travel vaccinations. We will provide you with detailed receipts for insurance purposes.
Fees for a travel consultation range from $60-$90, depending on the complexity of your travel, and do not include the cost of travel vaccinations.
Fees for travel vaccinations vary according to the vaccine, and your health coverage. Note: UW Student Supplementary Health Plan covers the cost of most vaccines.
A $10 injection fee is associated with some travel injections.
Payment is made by cash or cheque only, at the time of service.