My path is different and I'm worried I can't pursue further education. Where do I start?
Start by filling out this form to request further education support.
The form will ask you questions about what kind of support you need, which program(s) you’re thinking about, and booking logistics (availability and preferences).
You can expect to hear back from us in 1-5 business days to the email you provide. Here are some examples of what you might get back:
- an email with online resources for you to check out
- information about other campus services
- a notification of a booked drop-in
- a notification of a booked appointment
How do I know if further education is right for me?
Not sure where to start? The Centre for Career Development (CCD) offers different types of appointments to help you with career decisions:
- In a career planning appointment, an advisor can help you decide if further education is a good choice for you by helping you with self-understanding and identifying your core values.
- In a work search appointment, an advisor can help you explore your employment options with or without further education.
- In a further education appointment, a Further Education Advisor can talk about the educational paths for some of your possible career interests. Knowing how this applies to you can help guide your further education choices.
- Every career path is different. In a further education appointment, explore possible pathways to further education with a further ducation advisor.
I want to pursue further education, but I'm not sure what I want to study. What's next?
In a career planning appointment, an Advisor can help you explore your priorities, values and interests to help you make the choice that's best for you. Book a Career Planning appointment through WaterlooWorks.
How do I find out if I need further education to reach my career goal(s)?
- Check the Further Education section on CareerHub to see if your profession of interest is represented there.
- In a work search appointment, an Advisor can help you explore possible pathways to reach your career goal.
- If you're not sure how to start your research, fill out this form to request further education support.
How do I pick a further education program or school?
Where do I go for support for my graduate school application?
Many questions about the application process to a graduate program (Master's or PhD) are addressed on CareerHub, including relevant questions about selecting the program that's right for you, writing personal statements, and how to contact potential referees. This is a great place to start your research. If you still have questions after reading CareerHub and the application requirements for your program, you can:
- Attend a relevant workshop or event to learn more about applying to graduate programs.
- Attend the personal statement workshop to go through the process of writing a personal statement that meets your goals and have dedicated working time with an Advisor present to answer your questions. Dates vary each term.
- Consider using the further education support form if you'd like to work one-on-one with an Advisor to review and discuss your application documents.
I have a professional program and/or school in mind.
How do I become a competitive candidate?
- Check out the relevant page about the program on CareerHub.
- Many questions about a competitive candidacy are addressed on the website of the professional program and/or school. Reviewing these resources will help you build a solid background to understand your path.
- Use the further education support form to find out about additional resources or request an advising conversation to talk about how admission requirements apply to you.
I'm applying to a program.
How do I find out what I need for my application?
- The program you are applying to is the best resource for information about your application package. Review their resources thoroughly to understand what they are asking for.
- The Applying tab on CareerHub for your program of choice (in the Further Education section) may help you learn more about what is involved in your application package.
- Use the further education support form to find out about additional resources or request an advising conversation to plan for your application documents.
How do I prepare for my admissions interview with a professional school?
- Start by reviewing all of the information that your program shares about their interview process.
- Check out CareerHub to find the Interviewing tab for your program of choice. You'll find general information about the interview process and how to prepare.
- Attend one of our professional school interview days for workshops and multiple mini interview (MMI) simulations.
- Use the further education support form to find out about additional resources or request an advising conversation to strategize or practice for your interview.
I wasn't successful in my application(s) this round.
- In a further education appointment, we can talk about next steps for a future application.Use the further education support form to request an advising conversation.
- In a career planning appointment, an Advisor can help you revise your career path if you do not plan to apply again. Book an appointment through WaterlooWorks.
I have multiple offers to my program(s) of choice.
How do I decide and navigate the offer process?
Use the further education support form to get the conversation started. If we need more time to discuss this decision, your advisor might recommend a longer appointment for a more in-depth conversation.