Career advising services designed for you and your busy schedule
Book a career advising appointment: in person, via Skype, or telephone
Meet with one of our two career advisors who specialize in graduate students' career development. Book an in-person, phone, or Skype appointment on one of the topics below.
Meet with a Career Advisor to discuss what to expect in a typical Skype and/or campus interview and have the opportunity to practice effective responses to interview questions. In preparation for this appointment, you are strongly encouraged to read “Academic Interviews” in the Self-Marketing section of CareerHub.
Having trouble figuring out how to make connections in industry, where to look for jobs in the private or public sector, or how to identify the organizations you should target in your job search? Book a work search appointment with a career advisor! A work search appointment will also help you gain some practical tips and strategies to guide your academic job search.
Curriculum Vitae (CV) review
Your CV is a comprehensive listing of your academic, teaching and research qualifications. Meet with a grad career advisor to improve your CV's content and structure so that you're well positioned for teaching or research jobs.
Tips for booking an appointment
- Some appointments have prerequisites. Please consult the booking procedures to see if you need to complete some short, online modules before booking your appointment.
- If you are booking a résumé, CV, cover letter, or mock interview appointment related to a specific job, you will get much more tailored information if you send your advisor a copy of your document or job ad in advance of your appointment.
- To book a telephone or Skype appointment, follow regular booking procedure, and choose "Skype" or "telephone" in step 2.
- If you would like to book an appointment to discuss further education (including professional school education), please choose the "Professional/Graduate School" appointment option to speak with an advisor who specializes in further education.
Drop in for some quick advice
Short on time? Drop in for some bite-sized advice! These appointments are great for:
- Following up on a previous appointment
- Questions about your résumé, cover letter, etc.
- Quick work search advice
For a full resume, CV or cover letter review, please book an appointment.
Drop-in advising hours for grad students' interview,
résumé, or cover letter
|Graduate student-dedicated services||Résumé, cover letter, interview|
|Masters students:||Drop-ins 12:00pm-1:00pm (booking starts at 11:30am) Daily|
|PhD students/Post-docs:||12-12:30pm (booking starts at 11:30am) Daily|
Please note: We begin to process drop-in traffic at 11:30 a.m. each day. *PhD student/Post-doc drop-ins available in-person, by phone or Skype. To arrange a 15 minute phone or Skype drop-in, please call 519-888-4047 during drop-in hours. When attending in person, please bring your WatCard.