B.C. Matthews Hall
University of Waterloo
200 University Ave. West
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada N2L 3G1
519-888-4567, ext. 45513
For the driver:
- Exit the cab facing backwards to enable three-point contact when entering and exiting the tractor.
- Learn and employ the three-point contact technique.
- Don’t carry objects when entering and exiting the cab. Place all hand held items into the passenger seat before entering or pass-through compartment and place cups in a cup-holder in the driver door to allow free hands for three-point contact.
- Wear good footwear that is appropriate for the weather conditions.
For the employer:
- Purchase trucks with long grab handles located on both side of the doors and inside the cab.
- Purchase trucks with steps that have adequate grating, especially on the “nose” of the step, to reduce slipping.
- Purchase trucks that do not have large distances between the steps.
- Consider the above for the cat walk and for frequent maintenance.
- Purchase truck with cup-holders on the lower portion of the driver’s door and with pass-through compartments to allow drivers free hands for three-point contact or add them as retrofit.
- Teach employees the three-point contact technique and remind them of the dangers during ingress and egress.