This workshop is offered in partnership with Community Justice Initiatives. For further information please contact:
Completion of this workshop will be recognized as a three day elective within the Conflict Management Certificate Program.
THIS TRAINING IS LIMITED TO 12 PARTICIPANTS: COMPLETION OF TRANSFORMATIVE MEDIATION (or similar) IS A PREREQUISITE
Facilitated Dialogue, rooted in the values of restorative justice, combines the practices of transformative mediation with a trauma informed framework.
This groundbreaking training will introduce practitioners with a foundation in mediation and trauma awareness to the practice of Facilitated Dialogue in response to sexual harm. Facilitated Dialogue is one restorative justice approach to responding to sexual harm that can be used to engage individuals, families, workplaces, and other community groups (faith communities, sports teams, neighbourhoods) in dialogue about the impacts of sexual harm.
The training will combine group learning, individual reflection, and interactive role-play exercises to support understanding of the Facilitated Dialogue process.
- Establish a foundation of understanding Restorative Justice approaches to sexualized violence and harm
- Trauma-informed practice: working with people who have experienced trauma, understanding the impacts of sexual trauma; exploring the needs of those who have experienced and caused harm
- Working with those who have caused harm: exploring impact and building accountability
- Including, supporting, and defining the role of families and supporters in Facilitated Dialogue
- Involving the Community – approaches and considerations
- The Facilitated Dialogue Process:
- Skills for Case Development
- Risk Management and Safety Planning
- How to proceed when dialogue isn’t possible
- Role play
- Coached role play
Facilitated Dialogue is considered an advanced training and participants must be familiar with a foundational understanding of Transformative Mediation as well as a current understanding of best practices in supporting people who’ve experienced trauma.
If you would like some further information about Transformative Mediation or Trauma to prepare for this training, please reach out to Kate Crozier to be connected with some helpful resources.