The information on this page is for grads who will not be attending an in-person convocation ceremony where diplomas (degrees) are distributed. For those grads, diploma packages will be shipped by courier service the week following the convocation ceremonies.
Exceptions: Diplomas will be sent by regular mail if 1) your address includes a Post Office (PO) Box, as courier services are unable to deliver to a PO Box, 2) if you do not have a phone number on your Quest account, as a phone number is a courier service requirement, or 3) the courier service company didn't accept your address as recorded.
When will my diploma package be sent?
- If you have not registered to attend an in-person convocation ceremony, your diploma will be sent the week following convocation. Diploma packages will be shipped in order prepared and not necessarily by degree/program/major so you may not receive yours the same day as your classmate.
- If you have registered to attend an in-person convocation ceremony but are unable to attend, your diploma will be shipped after convocation week.
- For degrees processed after October 4, diploma packages will be shipped in batches after convocation week.
Where will my diploma package be sent?
Your diploma will be shipped to your Mail address listed in Quest as of the October 1, 2022 deadline.
Can I track my diploma package?
Yes, if it is being sent by courier service (see exceptions above). Once your diploma package has left campus, you will receive an email to your @uwaterloo.ca account with a tracking number.
How quickly will my diploma package arrive?
Due to high shipping volumes (courier services and Canada Post and customs processing), the University can not guarantee a delivery window.
- For domestic courier service, it may take a minimum of two weeks.
- For international courier service, it may take a minimum of four weeks.
- For regular mail, it may take a minimum of three weeks.
Once your diploma is in the hands of the courier company (i.e., you have received tracking information), the University is unable to speed up the delivery nor do we have any extra information. If you have substantial reason (e.g., visa requirement) to need your diploma urgently and the delivery window listed above has passed, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
My tracking information says the package is being delivered to the wrong address. What do I do?
If you did not update your Mail type address in Quest and you have received your tracking information, it means the package has left the hands of the University.
- Contact the courier via their contact information noted in your tracking email to see if they are able to redirect the package. If unable to do so, follow the next steps noted below.
- Go to Quest and update your Mail type address immediately.
- We ask that you wait - the original package must be returned to us, and once received, we will send it to your updated Mail address.
- If the package has not been redirected to you or we have not received it by November 30, we will ask you to complete the Original Diploma Never Received form. A replacement diploma (at no charge) will be sent.
- If you need it urgently, you may choose to order a duplicate diploma (and pay the associated fee) through our normal process.
My tracking status says the package was delivered but I didn't receive it. What do I do?
Please find your appropriate scenario:
- The package was sent to the Mail address listed in Quest:
- We ask that you wait one (1) week from the "delivered date" before contacting us. The package might have been delivered to the wrong address locally and will rectify itself within this window.
- If the package has not been delivered after the week, we will ask you complete the Original Diploma Never Received form. A replacement diploma (at no charge) will be sent.
- The package was sent to the former Mail address in Quest (I changed it after the October 1 deadline):
- We ask that you wait - the original package must be returned to us, and once received, we will send it to your updated address.
- If the package has not been redirected to you or we have not received it by November 30, we will ask you complete the Original Diploma Never Received form. A replacement diploma (at no charge) will be sent.
- If you report your missing diploma package after four months from your convocation ceremony, you will be required to provide a Statutory Declaration along with the Original Diploma Never Received form.
I received my diploma package but it is damaged. Can I get another?
If your diploma arrived damaged (i.e., bent, smudged, torn, ripped, creased), we will replace it at no cost. However, we need to ensure you only have one original diploma.
Your next steps:
- Send an email to email@example.com.
- Include two (2) pictures: one of the damaged diploma as it arrived, one of the diploma after you have destroyed it (i.e., torn into at least 6 pieces, with a clear tear through your name/degree title and the affix seal).
- Don't forget to provide your name and your student identification number.
Once received, we will print and send out another version to the same address. Note: Reprinting of diplomas occurs only once per week, and you should expect delays before it arrives.