On this page:

All international students must fill in the International Student Travel Plans and Quarantine Form

The International Student Travel Plans and Quarantine Form is mandatory for all international students and asks about your travel history and plans - including your quarantine plan (if applicable). By filling out the form, we can all comply with the Government of Canada and University of Waterloo health guidelines related to COVID-19 and help keep each other safe. 

You must complete the form even if you have not travelled recently or do not plan to travel in the near future. 

If you tell us you're travelling to Canada, University staff will be in touch with you after you arrive. They’ll help to ensure you're following the mandatory 14-day quarantine guidelines, answer your questions, and connect you with virtual supports, including our International Peer Community.

Waterloo student quarantine package

If you must travel to Canada, you may be eligible for the Waterloo Student Quarantine Package. The package can help with your mandatory 14-day quarantine by bundling hotel accommodations, meals, and more for you and immediate family members travelling with you. University staff will be in touch with you to help to ensure you're following the mandatory 14-day quarantine guidelines, answer your questions, and connect you with virtual supports, including our International Peer Community.

Self-isolation when moving into on-campus residence

Students who are travelling to campus and need to self-isolate as per Public Health guidelines will need to do so prior to moving into residence.  Residence space can not be offered to students for this purpose as we prepare for fall term. By June 26 we will have resources and options (i.e. short term accommodations) available on our website that students can access for information. Students will be required to plan their own activities and make payments.

Any student with a study permit will be provided additional flexibility when finalizing their plans for fall 2020. If a student is no longer able to come to campus as intended, they should email housing@uwaterloo.ca (have not yet received a contract) or submit the cancellation form (have received a contract) in order to receive a residence deposit refund. We understand that plans have and will continue to change as we approach September.  Therefore a deadline date will not be set for these students.

More information and FAQs:

All University-sanctioned international travel is suspended until further notice

We are supporting students who are currently outside of Canada to make arrangements to return.

The World Health Organization (WHO) described COVID-19 as a global pandemic. The Government of Canada has issued  active travel health notices

Faculty and staff who are uncertain or need advice about this rule should discuss with their supervisor.

Many countries have issued travel bans or border restrictions and other measures such as movement restrictions and quarantines. The Government of Canada is recommending that travellers find out what options are still available to return to Canada and consider returning as soon as possible.

Outbound international exchange, short term-programs and co-op

With the University’s international travel ban and the Global Affairs Canada worldwide avoid non-essential travel advisory both still in effect, the University has made the decision that international travel for outbound exchange, short-term programs or co-op will not be authorized until April 30, 2021 for Winter 2021 and Spring 2021 terms. Depending on your particular situation and faculty, you may be able to defer your experience, participate virtually or withdraw. For more information on what this means and what your options are available please see our exchange FAQs or fall term 2020 co-op work term options.

Register all University-sanctioned travel 

Starting immediately, all employees must register all international travel with the Safety Abroad Team

  • to access travel safety information 
  • emergency help 
  • access to Anvil Group services

If you have questions about travel please reach out to safetyabroad@uwaterloo.ca

For guidance in the event of an emergency abroad, please consult Waterloo International emergency contacts. Additionally, emergency travel assistance and various travel services are provided to University of Waterloo members by Anvil Group.

Domestic travel

  • All university-related (including research and field work) non-essential domestic travel remains suspended until further notice
  • Any request for university-related domestic travel for business needs to be approved by the relevant Dean or Vice President.
  • Research and field work requiring travel must be approved by the Vice-President, Research & Internationa

Public Health guidance for travel

The Government of Canada requires all international travelers self-isolate for 14 days.

Students can reach out to Health Services and employees can contact Occupational Health

For more Public Health information, please visit the Region of Waterloo's Public Health and Emergency Services COVID-19 Novel Coronavirus webpage.

Feeling unwell?

Contact your family doctor or call Health Services at 519-888-4096 to book an appointment. You should also avoid contact with others. 

Avoiding contact with others – also called self-isolation – means:

  • stay home from school or work,
  • avoid public places
  • do not take public transit, and
  • do not have visitors.