On this page:

All University-sanctioned international travel is suspended until further notice

We are supporting students who are currently outside of Canada to make arrangements to return.

The World Health Organization (WHO) described COVID-19 as a global pandemic. The Government of Canada has issued  active travel health notices

Faculty and staff who are uncertain or need advice about this rule should discuss with their supervisor.

Many countries have issued travel bans or border restrictions and other measures such as movement restrictions and quarantines. The Government of Canada is recommending that travellers find out what options are still available to return to Canada and consider returning as soon as possible.

    International Student Travel Plans and Quarantine Form

    The International Student Travel Plans and Quarantine Form is mandatory for all international students and asks about your travel history and plans - including your quarantine plan (if applicable). By filling out the form, we can all comply with the Government of Canada and University of Waterloo health guidelines related to COVID-19 and help keep each other safe. 

    You must complete the form even if you have not travelled recently or do not plan to travel in the near future. 

    If you tell us you're travelling to Canada, University staff will be in touch with you after you arrive. They’ll help to ensure you're following the mandatory 14-day quarantine guidelines, answer your questions, and connect you with virtual supports, including our International Peer Community.

    Waterloo student quarantine package

    If you must travel to Canada, you may be eligible for the Waterloo Student Quarantine Package. The package can help with your mandatory 14-day quarantine by bundling hotel accommodations, meals, and more for you and immediate family members travelling with you. University staff will be in touch with you to help to ensure you're following the mandatory 14-day quarantine guidelines, answer your questions, and connect you with virtual supports, including our International Peer Community.

    Self-isolation when moving into on-campus residence

    Students who are travelling to campus and need to self-isolate as per Public Health guidelines will need to do so prior to moving into residence.  Residence space can not be offered to students for this purpose as we prepare for fall term. By June 26 we will have resources and options (i.e. short term accommodations) available on our website that students can access for information. Students will be required to plan their own activities and make payments.

    Any student with a study permit will be provided additional flexibility when finalizing their plans for fall 2020. If a student is no longer able to come to campus as intended, they should email housing@uwaterloo.ca (have not yet received a contract) or submit the cancellation form (have received a contract) in order to receive a residence deposit refund. We understand that plans have and will continue to change as we approach September.  Therefore a deadline date will not be set for these students.

    More information and FAQs:

    Public Health guidance for travel

    The Government of Canada requires all international travelers self-isolate for 14 days.

    Students can reach out to Health Services and employees can contact Occupational Health

    For more Public Health information, please visit the Region of Waterloo's Public Health and Emergency Services COVID-19 Novel Coronavirus webpage.

    Feeling unwell?

    Contact your family doctor or call Health Services at 519-888-4096 to book an appointment. You should also avoid contact with others. 

    Avoiding contact with others – also called self-isolation – means:

    • stay home from school or work,
    • avoid public places
    • do not take public transit, and
    • do not have visitors.