Every day, large amounts of data are generated by business, scientific and social activity taking place all around us. It comes from sensors, digital images, streaming video, satellite and medical imagery, as well as through interactions with cloud computing. Data driven approaches to decision-making are being applied in areas as diverse as medicine, business, advertising, and entertainment.
Data Science is the study, application, and development of methods to learn from available data in order to understand, predict, and improve business strategy, products and services, marketing campaigns, medicine, public health and safety. These methods include elements of computer science and statistics.
In Data Science at Waterloo, you will take courses in computing systems, data analytics, database management, statistics, statistical and machine learning as well as core mathematical subjects like algebra and calculus. You will learn from leaders in this evolving field and have opportunities for hands-on learning experiences.
- Bachelor of Computer Science in Data Science
- Bachelor of Mathematics in Data Science
Bachelor of Computer Science in Data Science
- The BCS (Data Science) program is administered by the Cheriton School of Computer Science and all questions not answered in these links, can be directed to the CS Advisors.
- Students interested in the BCS (Data Science) who are already enrolled in a Computer Science program and have completed STAT 231 can start taking courses required for Data Science.
- For students interested in transferring to BCS (Data Science), we will be accepting applications in November 2017 and we anticipate that it will be competitive.
Bachelor of Mathematics in Data Science
- The BMath (Data Science) program is administered by the Department of Statistics and Actuarial Science and all questions not answered in these links can be directed to the Data Science Advisors.
- Students interested in BMath (Data Science) who are already enrolled in the Honours Statistics program and have completed CS 136 can start taking courses required for Data Science (PDF).
- Students interested in transferring to BMath (Data Science) can start by filling out a form here, while noting that we will be accepting applications at the end of each term.