Dept of Earth & Environmental Sciences
Centre for Environmental and Information Technology (EIT)
200 University Ave. W
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada N2L 3G1
Phone: (519) 888-4567
A world expert on quantitative and integrated hydrosystem modelling, Ed Sudicky is a Fellow of both the Royal Society of Canada and the Canadian Academy of Engineering. In 2001, he was also recognized as a Highly Cited Researcher by Thomson-Reuters, ranking within the top one per cent of scientists worldwide for the number of academic citations received within the fields of Ecology/Environment and Engineering.
Professor Sudicky is principal founder and Board Chair of Aquanty, Inc., a consulting R&D company specializing in integrated hydrological system modelling.
Curriculum Vitae: sudicky_cv_2019.pdf
- Development and application of coupled surface/subsurface flow and contaminant models
- Theory of single- and multi-phase flow and mass transport in complex subsurface environments
- Numerical analysis, advanced algorithm development
- Geostatistics, data analysis
Professor Sudicky studies the mathematical modelling of groundwater flow and contaminant transport in hydrogeologic systems by numerical and analytical methods. His research involves groundwater remediation; stochastic analysis of flow and mass transport in heterogeneous porous and fractured geologic media; groundwater hydraulics and statistical characterization of spatial variability of material properties at field sites; theory and modelling of surface/subsurface flow; and solute and energy transport from the watershed to the continental scale.
Professor Sudicky's course offerings have included Physical Hydrogeology, Flow Through Porous Media, Statistics and Mathematical Methods in Geology.
Professor Sudicky has published more than 125 peer-reviewed articles. Recent publications include
- Hwang, H.-T., Jeen, S.-W., Sudicky, E.A. and Illman, W.A. 2015. Determination of rate constants and branching ratios for TCE degradation by zero-valent iron using a chain decay multispecies model, Jour. Contam. Hydrol.
- Davison, J.H., Sudicky, E.A. and Lin, J.C., 2015. Coupled atmospheric, land surface, and subsurface modelling: Exploring water and energy feedbacks in three dimensions, Adv. Water Resour. (in press).
- Hwang, H.-T., Park, Y.-J., Sudicky, E.A. and Forsyth, P.A., 2014. A parallel computational framework to solve flow and transport in integrated surface-subsurface flow systems, Environmental Modelling & Software, vol, 61, pp. 39-58.
- Yang, T., Wang, X.-Y., Yu, Z., Krysanova, V., Chen, X., Schwartz, F.W., and; Sudicky, E.A., 2014. Climate change and probabilistic scenario of streamflow extremes in an alpine region, Jour. Geophys. Res. – Atmospheres, 119(14), pp. 8535-8551.
- Maxwell, R.M., Putti, M., Meyerhoff, S., Delfs, J.-O., Ferguson, I.M., Ivanov, V., Kim, J., Kolditz, O., Kollet, S.J., Kumar, M., Lopez, S., Niu, J., Paniconi, C., Park, Y.-J., Phanikumar, M.S., Shen, C., Sudicky, E.A. and Sulis, M., 2014. Surface-subsurface model intercomparison: A first set of benchmark results to diagnose integrated hydrology and feedbacks, Water Resour. Res., 50(2), pp. 1531-1549.
Professor Sudicky is co-owner of Aquanty, Inc.'s copyrighted modelling platform HydroGeoSphere.
Awards and Distinctions
2013-present China 1000 Plan Distinguished Visiting Professor, College of Water Resources Engineering, Hohai University
2001-2015 Canada Research Chair (Tier I), Quantitative Hydrogeology
2007 National Ground Water Association (NGWA) M. King Hubbert Award
2007 University of Waterloo, Faculty of Science Alumni Honour Award
2007 Kisiel Memorial Lecture, Department of Hydrology & Water Resources, University of Arizona
2005 Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada, elected
2003 Fellow of the Canadian Academy of Engineering, elected
2003 Marquis Who’s Who in Science and Engineering
2005 Canadian Who’s Who
2005 Leading Scientists of the World, International Biographical Centre, Cambridge, UK
2005 Honouree, Geological Society of America Special Technical Session on “Twenty Years of Exploration and Innovation in Quantitative Hydrogeology: In Honour of Ed Sudicky”, 2003 GSA Annual Meeting, Seattle
2002 American Geophysical Union, Hydrology Section, Hydrology Award
1999 Geological Society of America, O.E. Meinzer Award
1999 Fellow of the Geological Society of America, elected 1999
1995 Fellow of the American Geophysical Union
2001 Current Contents, ISI Thompson Scientific, Highly Cited Researcher, top one half of one percent of all papers published worldwide in the field of Engineering
1994 Henry Darcy Distinguished Lecturer, Association of Ground Water Scientists and Engineers (38 lectures delivered at universities and research institutions in Canada, the United States, Israel and the United Kingdom).
1985-1994 University Research Fellowship, Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada
1983 Pearson Medal, University of Waterloo award for outstanding research in Earth Sciences
1980-1983 Post-graduate Scholarship, Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada
1978-1979 Ontario Graduate Scholarship
University of Waterloo Affiliations
- Member, The Water Institute
- Principal, Aquanty, Inc. (consulting R&D company)
Professional Associations and Service
- 2010-2012 Member, International Scientific Advisory Committee, Helmholtz German Water Alliance
- 2009-2013 Member, International Scientific Advisory Committee, Australian National Groundwater Research and Training Centre
- 2002-2005 Associate Dean of Research, Faculty of Science
- 1997-2000 Chair, Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences
The following news stories have featured Professor Sudicky's research:
March 21, 2013 Local startup solves complex water problems
1983 PhD Earth Sciences, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON
1979 MSc Earth Sciences, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON
1977 BASc Civil Engineering, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON