Kankar Bhattacharya is a Professor and the Chair of the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Waterloo. In 2021, the university awarded the designation 'University Research Chair.'
- Power system operations, economics and planning.
- Electricity markets, ancillary services and demand response.
- Energy storage systems- integration in power systems and electricity markets.
- Smart loads, smart grids and microgrids.
- 1993, Doctorate, Electrical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Delhi
- 1988, Master's, Electrical Engineering, Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra
- 1986, Bachelor's, Electrical Engineering, G.B. Pant Univeristy of Agriculture and Technology
- ECE 390 - Eng Design, Economics, Impact
- Taught in 2017
- ECE 467 - Power Syst Op & Markets
- Taught in 2017
- ECE 6602PD - Pwr. Sys. Mgmt. & Elec. Mkts.
- Taught in 2019
- ECE 6607PD - Opn. of Restructured Pwr. Sys.
- Taught in 2018, 2020
- ECE 666 - Power Systems Operation
- Taught in 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021
- ECE 760 - Top Pow Sys & H Volt Eng
- Taught in 2017, 2019, 2020
- Paudyal, Sumit and Cañizares, Claudio A and Bhattacharya, Kankar, Optimal operation of industrial energy hubs in smart grids, IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, 6(2), 2015, 684 - 694
- Bozchalui, Mohammad Chehreghani and Cañizares, Claudio A and Bhattacharya, Kankar, Optimal operation of climate control systems of produce storage facilities in smart grids, IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, 6(1), 2015, 351 - 359
In the News
- Currently considering applications from graduate students. A completed online application is required for admission; start the application process now.