A Proof of Enrolment can be used to:
- verify past, current, and anticipated enrolment;
- demonstrate all degree requirements have been met (or will be) prior to convocation; or
- prove graduation date.
Three types of proof of enrolment documentation
- Self-serve letters (no cost): Can be produced from your Quest account and printed at home. Useful for organizations such as banks, RESP providers, Canada Pension Plan, insurance companies, and employers.
- University-produced letters ($10): We can provide a letter printed on University of Waterloo letterhead with an embossed University seal. Useful for study permits/visas, border crossings, or when the self-serve option cannot incorporate desired/required information.
- Third-party forms ($10, exceptions provided below): We can complete a form from an outside organization (e.g., United Nations forms) with the University seal to verify your enrolment. Upload and attach the third-party form to your online request or submit along with your completed Proof of Enrolment request form by mail or fax.
We offer three options to order your proof of enrolment
- Visit Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs (GSPA) during business hours if you require your proof of enrolment immediately.
- Login to our online Proof of Enrolment Request Form using your University of Waterloo username and password.
- Complete our Proof of Enrolment Request Form (pdf) if you do not have a University of Waterloo username and password.
We process requests daily, Monday to Friday, except when the University is closed.
Why would I need proof of enrolment?
You may need proof or verification of enrolment for:
- Registered Educational Savings Plan (RESP) withdrawals
- Study permit renewals and visa applications (Canada and international)
- Banking purposes (e.g., a line of credit application)
- Insurance purposes
- Benefits (eligibility under a parent's benefit program)
- Job offer, employment screening, and co-op placement
Fees and payment options
Each copy of a letter/form is $10 (includes GST). Receipts will not be issued and overpayments are non-refundable. We accept the following methods of payment:
- Cash (in person)
- Cheque payable to University of Waterloo (by mail or in person)
- Interac Debit (in person)
- Visa, Mastercard, American Express (in person or online via e-commerce)
- WatCard (in person)
Note: Pdf form submissions with credit card information are no longer accepted.
Need more information or payment options? Contact Customer Service.
Additional delivery fees
For delivery by courier or fax the following charges also apply:
|Courier (within Canada)||Courier (outside Canada)||Fax|
|$10 - Ontario||$25 - United States||$5 - within Canada|
|$20 - other provinces/territories||$35 - international||$10 - outside Canada|
Note: A tracking number will be sent to the email address provided when courier is selected.
Submitting the PDF version of this form
Once you have completed your form, print it, sign it, and submit it. Be sure to chose a submission option that works with your chosen method of payment (above). We do not accept submissions by email.
Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs, Second Floor, Needles Hall 2002 during our office hours.
University of Waterloo
Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs
200 University Avenue West
Canada N2L 3G1
Picking-up your proof of enrolment letter or third-party form
If you choose to pick up your letter(s)/form(s) you will need to show your WatCard or other valid photo identification. Letters/forms can be picked up from Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs, second floor, Needles Hall.
If you need someone else to pick up your letter/form on your behalf, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org from your University of Waterloo email address providing:
- Your first and last name
- Your student ID number
- The first and last name of the person picking up your letter/form
That person will be required to present photo identification