Use this form to:
- Apply for a Graduate Studies Research Travel Assistantship.
The Graduate Studies Office (GSO) and the Graduate Studies Endowment Fund (GSEF) assist the University of Waterloo graduate students to attend professional conferences, and present their research. Students should use this form to reserve travel funds from their supervisor, Department/School, Faculty and the Graduate Studies Office.
*Note: Confirmation of presentation and abstract may be submitted with the Travel Advance and Settlement Claim after travel and are not required with this application for funding. The amount reserved per student by the GSO will not exceed $500.
- Complete the sections applicable to you, and obtain your Supervisor signature. The student's supervisor (or in special cases, a Graduate Officer or other Department Head) must confirm that attendance at the conference is of direct benefit to a University of Waterloo research program and that the program conforms with the Income Tax Act definition of research (research involves a critical or scientific inquiry aimed at the discovery of new facts, or the development of new interpretations or applications. It does not include research carried out for the sake of acquiring the experience or skill of conducting research, as may be the case with research carried out by undergraduate students).
- Submit the completed form to your Department Graduate Coordinator.
- Upon completion of the application, the department should submit the form to its Faculty Administrator in the Faculty Graduate Office, and then to the Graduate Financial Officer in the Graduate Studies Office (GSO).
- The GSO usually processes the application within a week upon receipt from the Faculty Graduate Office.
- Requests received after application deadlines may be approved but are subject to availability of funds.
- No funds will be awarded for amounts not reserved in advance of travel.
- If funds are depleted, the program may be suspended without notice until further funds become available.
- Commitments will have an expiry date of one month after the anticipated date of return from travel. Assistantship reserves will automatically be cancelled upon expiry if claims have not been submitted to the Graduate Studies Office (GSO) by the expiry date.
- Upon return from the conference, a completed travel advance and settlement claim form, including signatures of those responsible for payment of partial amounts, receipts, and a copy of the abstract as well as written confirmation of acceptance or presentation of the paper, must be forwarded to the GSO by the deadline indicated by the GSO (within one month after the anticipated date of return from travel).
Eligibility and Selection Criteria:
To be eligible for a Graduate Studies Research Travel Assistantship, a student must:
- Be traveling in connection with a UWaterloo research activity, must be the first or second author of the paper or poster, and must present the paper or poster at a conference.
- Be a graduate student registered in a degree program at UWaterloo at the time of the conference.
- Submit the request for funding in advance of travel. Applications will not be considered after the conference has taken place.
- Not have already received this funding in the current fiscal year (May 1 – April 30).
- Secure partial travel funding support from at least one of his/her supervisor, Department/School, or Faculty in addition to the GSO reserve amount and the student must obtain the appropriate signatures from the supervisor (or in special cases the department head),Department/School and Faculty prior to submission to the GSO. If neither the supervisor, Department/School or Faculty are able to provide funds, a reason must be included on the form. In special cases where funding is not being provided by these sources and the research is related to work that is not under the supervisor’s direction, the student may obtain the necessary signature from a Grad Officer or Department Head. In cases where funding is not provided by the above mentioned sources, the GSO may choose to contact the student and/or the Department/School for further explanation before GSO funds will be reserved.
- Up to a maximum of $500.
April 1 - spring term travel, August 1 - fall term travel, December 1 - winter term travel.