Jonathan joined the Department in 2007 and his research interests lie mainly in the areas of remote sensing and geographical information science including topographic and thematic mapping from satellite imagery, airborne and terrestrial mobile laser scanning, remote sensing of inland and coastal waters, GIS and web mapping, terrain analysis in hydrogeography and hazard mapping.
For more information, visit Jonathan Li's personal website.
Key Areas of Graduate Supervision
Multispectral and SAR remote sensing, laser scanning (or LiDAR), object-based image analysis, 3D urban modeling and spatial analysis, terrain analysis in hydrogeography, geomatics solutions to disaster management
Recent Courses Taught
GEOG 215: China: Diverse and Dynamic
GEOG 310: Geodesy and Surveying
GEOG 316: Multivariate Statistics
GEOG 608: Urban Remote Sensing
My research interests lie mainly in the areas of remote sensing and geographical information science. The focus is placed on use of the-state-of-art Earth observation and mobile mapping systems to derive spatial and attribute information to support effective urban-suburban planning and environmental management activities; to extract geometric information of urban structures for developing theories and models of urban morphology; to detect land use and land cover changes to study spatiotemporal dynamics and consequences of urbanization as a major form of global changes.
My recent research projects are about the development of innovative algorithms/methods and software tools, including object-based image analysis for multi-scale thematic mapping of physical and built environments, airborne LiDAR point cloud processing for 3D urban modeling, laser scanning data processing for 3D infrastructure reconstruction, intelligent SAR image analysis for automated detection of oil spill, sea ice, and shoreline changes, advanced computer vision and machine learning for intelligent processing of remotely sensed data, as well as novel remote sensing applications in transportation, utility, agriculture, resources and disaster management.
- Wang C, *Wen C, Hou S, Gong Z, Li Q, Sun X, Li J, 2018. Semantic line framework-based indoor building modeling using backpacked laser scanning point clouds, ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, doi:10.1016/j.isprsjprs.2018.03.025.
- Yang Z, *Wang C, Zhang Z, Li J, 2018. Random Barzilai–Borwein step size for mini-batch algorithms, Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence, 72, 124–135.
- Zhong Z, *Li J, Luo Z, Chapman M, 2018. Spectral-spatial residual networks for hyperspectral image classification: a 3D deep learning framework, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 56(2): 847-858.
- Tan W, *Li J, Xu L, Chapman M, 2018. Semi-automated segmentation of Sentinel-1 SAR imagery for mapping sea ice in Labrador Coast, IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing, 11(5): doi:10.1109/JSTARS.2018.2806640.
- Ye C, Chen Y, *Li J, 2018. Investigating the influences of tree coverage and road density on property crime, ISPRS International Journal of Geo-Information, 7, 101; doi: 10.3390/ijgi7030101.
- *Chen R, Li X, Li J, 2018. Object-based features for house detection from RGB high-resolution images, Remote Sensing, 10, 451; doi:10.3390/rs10030451.
- Luo H, *Wang, C, Wen C, Chen Z, Yu Y, Li J, 2018. Semantic labeling of mobile LiDAR point clouds via active learning and higher-order MRF. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, doi:10.1109/TGRS.2018.2802935.
- Zai D, *Li J, Guo Y, Cheng M, Huang P, Cao X, Wang C, 2017. Pairwise registration of TLS point clouds using covariance descriptors and a non-cooperative game, ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, 134: 15-29.
- Zou X, *Cheng M, Wang C, Xia Y, Li J, 2017. Tree classification in real complex forest point clouds based on deep learning, IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, 14(12), 2360-2364.
- Gong Z, *Wen C, Wang C, Li J, 2017. A target-free automatic self-calibration approach for multi-beam laser scanners, IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, 67(1): 238-240.
- Wang J, Zhang M, Bai X, Tan H, Li S, Liu J, Zhang R, Wolters MA, Qin X, Zhang M, Lin H, Li Y, Li J, *Chen L, 2017. Large-scale transport of PM2.5 in the lower troposphere during winter cold surges in China, Scientific Reports, 7: 13238, doi: 10.1038/s41598-017-13217-2.
- Xu X, Tolson BA, *Li J, Davison B, 2017. Comparison of X-band and L-band soil moisture retrievals for land data assimilation, IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing, 10(9): 3850-3860.
- Xu X, Tolson BA, *Li J, Davison B, 2017. Assimilation of synthetic remotely-sensed soil moisture in Environment Canada's MESH model. IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing, 10(4), 1317-1327.
- Zai D, *Li J, Guo Y, Cheng M, Lin Y, Luo H, Wang C, 2017. 3D road boundary extraction from mobile laser scanning data via supervoxels and graph cuts, IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, 19(3): 802-813.
- Ye C, Wang M, *Li J, 2017. Derivation of the characteristics of the surface urban heat island in the Greater Toronto area using thermal infrared remote sensing, Remote Sensing Letters, 8(7): 637-646.
- Huang P, *Cheng M, Chen Y, Luo H, Wang C, *Li J, 2017. Traffic sign occlusion detection using mobile laser scanning point clouds. IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, 18(9): 2364 - 2376.
- Lin Y, *Wang C, Chen B, Zai D, Li J, 2017. Facet segmentation based line segment extraction for large-scale point clouds, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 55(9): 4839-4854.
- Huang P, *Cheng M, Chen Y, Zai D, Wang C, *Li J, 2017. Solar potential analysis method using terrestrial laser scanning point clouds, IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing, 10(3), 1221-1233.
- Cheng M, Zhang H, Wang C, *Li J, 2017. Extraction and classification of road markings using mobile laser scanning point clouds, IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing, 10(3), 1182-1196.
- Zang Y, *Wang C, Yu Y, Luo L, Ke Y, Li J, 2017. Joint enhancing filtering for road network extraction, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 55(3), 1511-1525.
- Wu F, *Wen C, Guo Y, Wang J, Yu Y, Wang C, *Li J, 2017. Rapid localization and extraction of street light poles in mobile LiDAR point clouds: a supervoxels-based approach. IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, 18(2), 292-305.
- Yu Y, *Li J, Guan H, Wang C, Wen C, 2017. Bag-of-contextual-visual-words for road scene object detection from mobile laser scanning data. IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, 17(12), 3391-3406.