Changes are coming to this website. Learn more ➜

Program/plan change

What is a program/plan change?

You may elect to pursue a different program/plan during your graduate career.  Program and/or plan changes include:

  • a change to your level of study (master's, doctoral) 
  • a change to your discipline
  • changing from one Faculty to another
  • a change to your study option (co-operative, thesis, master's research paper or coursework) 

How do I apply for a program/plan change?

You can apply for a University of Waterloo graduate program/plan change if you:

  • Have consulted with your academic department and/or supervisor.
  • Will be receiving advanced standing including transfer credit(s) for some and/or all coursework and milestones or research completed in your current University of Waterloo graduate degree program.
  • Complete a Graduate Studies program/plan change form (Graduate Studies website) and submit the completed form to your academic department for approval.
  • When your request to change program/plan has been fully approved, it may change your tuition assessment and any funding you may be receiving.  It is recommended that you monitor your finances in Quest for any outstanding changes related to your new program.
  • Once your request has been approved, you can verify the change by viewing your unofficial transcript or "my grad program" in Quest (Quest website).

In cases, where advanced standing is not approved by the new program you will be required to: