Graduate Studies at Waterloo would not be the same without the hundreds of faculty and staff who support graduate students. The information below has been compiled to guide Graduate Co-ordinators, Graduate Officers/Chairs, Associate Deans, supervisors and other faculty in assisting grad students.
Help us keep track of who you are! Use the Graduate department contact change form to officially notify Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs of a change to graduate administrative staff/faculty within your department/Faculty. The form also includes information on how to gain access to Quest.
- Academic reviews/new programs
- Approved Doctoral Dissertation Supervisor Status (ADDS)
- Chairing a PhD examination
- Data requests
- Graduate student communcations
- Guide to Graduate Research and Supervision
- International Visiting Graduate Students (IVGS)
- Program and course milestone changes
- SharePoint access (for GSPA processes)
- Verifying a University of Waterloo degree
The Office of the Associate Vice-President, Academic (AVPA) and the Associate Vice-President, Graduate Studies (AVPGS) are responsible for a broad range of matters including overseeing the University of Waterloo’s Institutional Quality Assurance Process (IQAP) (PDF) and the review and approval of:
- new academic programs
- cyclical reviews
- proposals to change existing academic programs (major modifications)
- expedited reviews and
- closure of existing degrees and programs
For more information on the above topics, visit the Academic Reviews website.
The Approved Doctoral Dissertation Supervisor (ADDS) status is governed by a series of regulations governing how faculty members gain the privilege of sole-supervising PhD students.
- For more information surrounding ADDS status, visit the organization of graduate studies page.
- The Centre for Teaching Excellence (CTE) and the GSPA offer a series of workshops on graduate supervision practices, primarily for those seeking Approved Doctoral Dissertation Supervision (ADDS) Status. For more information visit the CTE website.
For information on chairing a PhD examination, visit our Guide for chairing a PhD examination webpage.
For any data inquiries related to Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs, please use this form and we will contact you within two business days for confirmation.
GSPA communicates to graduate students using the following platforms:
- The Graduate student e-news is sent weekly to all registered graduate students. Use the Graduate student e-news submission request (webform) to contribute a submission.
- Sign up for the Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs Facebook page
- Keep up to date with Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs Twitter. @UWaterlooGSPA
- GSPA also maintains a webpage of requests for participants for graduate student research.
The International Visiting Graduate Student (IVGS) acceptance process facilitates the acceptance of an international graduate student attending a university outside of Canada to participate in research activities at the University of Waterloo and be recognized as a legitimate visitor under the supervision of a University of Waterloo faculty member and academic unit.
IVGS procedures and resources for faculty and department use are posted to the Graduate Studies Records Sharepoint. Your nexus\WatIam User ID and password are required.
For information on how to access this site, contact Christina Treusch.
For more information on the program, contact Audrey Sloboda.
For information about making changes to graduate programs and course milestones, visit the Graduate program and course/milestone changes web page.
SharePoint is used as a collaborative platform to host important information for members of our graduate community, including GSPA staff, graduate co-ordinators, graduate officers, faculty members and committes/working groups.
To gain access to the Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs SharePoint site, contact the site adminstrator identified on home page for each section. Your nexus\WatIam User ID and password are required.
The University of Waterloo has partnered with AURADATA to streamline the process of academic credential verification for companies or academic institutions. For more information on the process, visit The Centre website.