Our voices must be heard clearly.
We respect the importance of looking back, experiencing the present and planning for the future. We recognize that past was a dark time for the original Peoples of what is now known as Canada.
We recognize that our ancestors had a deep relationship to this land and waters. Our gifts, ways of knowing and ways of being must be respected and incorporated into the education system to enhance education overall.
We commit to working together with our allies to build an environment we can call home on our campuses, an environment where our children can connect at an early age and where people participate and thrive.
We also commit to creating safe spaces where everyone feels supported, feel like they belong, and are connected to the land and waters. The University of Waterloo will be a community of strength, where we all take a stand for each other.
- To create and implement Indigenous relations that promote reconciliation and decolonization, understanding, and relationship building between Indigenous Peoples and communities alongside the transparent and collaborative actions of the University of Waterloo.
- To become a global leader in Indigenous relations, reconciliation, decolonization, indigenization and implementation of the recommendations of the TRC.
- Lead the implementation of the relevant recommendations of the TRC.
- Support Indigenous students, faculty, staff, alums and retirees.
- Foster relationships between Indigenous peoples and communities, and the University.
- Inspire the values of respect, kindness and reciprocity.
- Implement actions designed to allow for evolution, growth and transformation.