Privacy & Confidentiality
Confidential information safeguards & procedures for sharing
Policy 46 Appendix A and the Managing student information for Faculties, Academic Departments and Schools guideline describe how student information is managed, protected, and shared within the University and with external agencies.
The Information & Privacy website provides guidance for safeguarding and appropriate sharing of confidential information including:
- Guidelines on record keeping
- Guidelines for confidential records
- Guidelines on use of email and instant messaging
- Returning assignments and posting grades
Policy 17 - Quotations and Tenders, section 11, "Handling, Storing and Maintaining Suppliers' Confidential and Commercially Sensitive Information" governs the University's treatment of commercially sensitive information provided by suppliers.
IST's Information Security Services (ISS) provides guidance on securing computer systems, desktops, and laptops used for managing confidential, including:
- Password standards
- Technical security standards for e-commerce applications
- Standards for secure hosting
- Security standards for desktops and laptops
- Security standards for networked peripheral devices (print/scan/fax)
- Data encryption
IST's Guidelines for secure data exchange should be followed by all employees when sharing electronic information.