Supporting documents for applications for admission to the University's undergraduate and graduate programs.
This records class is a Personal Information Bank.
Responsible Unit | Information Steward | Information Confidentiality Classification | Retention | Disposition | Authority | Retention Rationale | Version Information
Content & Scope
Most applications are processed through the Ontario Universities Applications Centre (OUAC) and the information is transmitted directly to the student information system (Quest). Required supporting documentation may be received in paper or in electronic form.
The records include application forms, exchange program applications, transfer credits, transcripts, test scores, supplementary information forms, references, resumes, samples of work, departmental recommendations, offers of admission, and related correspondence.
- Registrar’s Office, for undergraduate program applications.
- Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs, for graduate program applications.
- Registrar, for undergraduate student records.
- Associate Vice-President, Graduate Studies & Postdoctoral Affairs, for graduate student records.
Information Confidentiality Classification
- Matriculated applicants: Admissions records are retained as undergraduate or graduate student records.
- Incomplete, unsuccessful, or not matriculated applicants: 1 year after the end of the admit term, including deferred admit term.
- Administrative withdrawals: 20 years.
Responsible Units should document the disposal/destruction of official records using the University records destruction form or equivalent documentation, to verify that we are following our records retention rules.
University of Waterloo Act, 1972.
Retention of incomplete, unsuccessful, and not-matriculated applications is based on regulations to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act requiring that personal information be retained for a minimum of one year after its use, unless the individual to whom the information relates consents to its earlier disposal (RRO 1990 Reg 460, s 5(1)).
26 July 2010