Records of accommodations made for students experiencing illness or medical conditions which prevent them from meeting academic obligations.
Content & Scope
Students must provide confirmation of illness. Granting of accommodation due to illness is at the discretion of the instructor.
The records include verification of illness forms or equivalent medical documentation.
- For undergraduate students files, see ST68 – Student Files, Undergraduate.
- For graduate student files, see ST65 – Student Files, Graduate.
- Academic departments and schools.
- Centre for Extended Learning.
- Dean of the relevant faculty.
- Associate Vice-President, Academic.
2 years after the end of the term in which the accommodation was requested.
At the discretion of the individual unit, records of accommodations due to illness other than medical documentation may be retained as part of the individual student's academic file. In this case, the retention of the records is determined by ST68 – Student Files, Undergraduate or ST65 – Student Files, Graduate. Medical documentation must be stored separately from the student’s academic records.
- University of Waterloo Act, 1972.
- University Policies, Guidelines, and Academic Regulations: Assignments, Tests, and Final Exams.
Retention is based on operational use and regulations to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act requiring that personal information be retained for a minimum of one year after its use, unless the individual to whom the information relates consents to its earlier disposal (RRO 1990 Reg 460, s 5(1)). Most accommodation for illness documentation will be last used within one year of submission.
27 October 2010