Records documenting test scores, assignment scores, and final grades for students, which become the basis for submitting grades to the Registrar’s Office and Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs for upload to the student information system.
Content & Scope
This records class excludes student work such as assignments, essays, reports, examination answer papers, and theses.
The records include class lists, examination/assignment questions and instructions, marks assigned for individual tests, examinations, and assignments submitted in accordance with course or program requirements, final grades, and related correspondence.
- For student work see TL55 – Examination Papers and Course Assignments and TL62 – Theses.
- For files of grades/course credits submitted for upload to the student information system, see ST60 – Grade/Course Credit Submission.
- For grade rosters held within the online course environment, see TL38 – Online Courses.
- Academic departments and schools.
- Co-operative Education.
- Other units responsible for grading student work.
Dean of the relevant faculty, or the information steward responsible for the academic support unit offering the course.
Minimum 1 year and no more than 5 years after last use (i.e., after the student has completed the course or after the resolution of any grade revision request or appeal).
Examination/assignment questions may be retained for a longer period at the discretion of the instructor and/or responsible department.
University of Waterloo Act, 1972.
Regulations to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act require that personal information be retained for a minimum of one year after its use, unless the individual to whom the information relates consents to its earlier disposal (O.Reg. 460, 5 (1)). Some instructors retain records for longer than the minimum period for purposes such as providing references for students.
15 June 2011