The Renison International Office offers a variety of short-term international experiences in China, Japan, Korea, and Mexico. In addition to the in-house opportunities available to students, our international advisor is also here to provide additional support to Renison students and residents considering full-term exchange through Waterloo International.
Discover your next adventure in...
Students will take language and culture courses at one of the top language schools in Shanghai, at Shanghai International Studies University (SISU) in May. This includes learning about different forms of Chinese art and paper cutting. The program also includes ten-days travel in China, as a field trip of cultural explorations in representative cities in China such as Xi'an and Beijing.
This is a 2-week immersive experience, with the program being conducted in Japanese. Students should have a comfortable level of Japanese in order to attend this program. Recommended: completion of at least JAPAN 102R or JAPAN 201R.
Dates for 2020: July 7 to July 17, 2020
Cost of program: 70,000 JPY
Momoyama Gakuin University
This is a unique 4-week summer experience where you will have the opportunity to live with a Japanese family through a homestay program. Momoyama Gakuin University is located in Osaka City, which is one of Japan’s most bustling cities. Have an authentic experience abroad while improving your Japanese language!
This non-credit program is aimed toward students who have limited knowledge of Japan, but have taken JAPAN 101/JAPAN 102.
Dates for 2020: May 30th to June 27, 2020
Cost of program: $50 application fee to all students applying
$1500 for two students selected for exchange
JACAC Student Forum
The Japan-Canada Academic Consortium is a great opportunity for students to develop their leadership skills while meeting other students across Canada and Japan. Students will work together in groups and have debates and presentations, discussing a common theme. The JACAC Student Forum takes place during Reading week in February each year and takes place in Canada or Japan, in alternating years.
Examples of themes from previous years are:
- 2019 - Japan-Canada Relations in an Era of Global Change
- 2018 - Crisis in the Humanities: Reconsidering the Studies of the Humanities in the Age of Technology and Innovation
- 2017 - Immigration Policies and National Borders: Integration and Exclusion
Cost: Participation fee is free.
For more information on the Student Forum and costs, please visit the JACAC website.
NOTE: dates for 2020 will be updated as they are confirmed.
Jeju National University
Learn about Korean language and culture through this two-week summer program on one of Korea’s most beautiful islands, Jeju island! You will have opportunities to explore, eat and learn about this island’s unique history and culture.
For more information check out the JNU Program Brochure.
Dates for 2020: August 10 - August 21, 2020 (check-in is on Sunday, August 9)
Tecnológico de Monterrey Programs
i-Summer MX Programs
i-Summer Mx are programs designed for students who love traveling and learning about new cultures. i-Summer Mx will allow flexibility as to how, when and where learning happens through visits to organizations, conferences with experts, workshops and trips. Tec de Monterrey offers the following programs that are available to UW students:
- Culture & Identity - Discover four of the most iconic states in Mexico, visit the capital Mexico City, enjoy the colonial city of Querétaro, go to the amazing Guadalajara, walk through historic places at Puebla, and choose to make everlasting memories in beautiful places like Puerto Vallarta and San Miguel de Allende, find out more.
- Aeronautics - During their program students will live in three vibrant cities. The colonial city of Queretaro, the industrialized Chihuahua and Estado de México. These cities stand out as examples of growth, foreign investment and job creation, especially in the aeronautic industry, find out more.
- Business - Students will live in four vibrant cities in Mexico. The Santa Fe district in Mexico City, the colonial city Querétaro, the industrialized León and the modern business and industrial center in Monterrey. They will make everlasting memories exercising their intellectual curiosity and developing entrepreneurship, innovation and leadership skills, in a multicultural setting, find out more.
- Marketing - Students will discover four of the most iconic states in Mexico, visit the capital Mexico City, enjoy the colonial city of Querétaro, go the amazing Guadalajara, walk through historic places at Puebla and make everlasting memories in beautiful places like Puerto Vallarta and San Miguel de Allende, find out more.
Summer 2020 application deadline: May 15, 2020
Learn Spanish Virtually
Learn Spanish with native certified teachers from Mexico!
Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, and Business and Professional levels are offered this Summer 2020.
Find out more: firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTE: this program is not being offered in the 2019-2020 academic year.
Students will earn credit for this international experience course which is usually offered in the Winter. This experience promotes awareness of cross-cultural issues and a deeper understanding of issues of social justice. The program is shaped around the interests of the participants to create a shared itinerary for the international experience. The trip is rigorous, filled with long days, and packed with activities, but the end result is a life-changing narrative worthy of retelling. There will be Canadian experience days on weekends leading up to the international experience in Mexico during reading week.