Want to make the most out of your summer? Volunteer as an International Social Volunteer (ISV) at Renison University College and meet international students from all over the world, while participating in organized activities and helping enrich their experience in Canada! You will also have an opportunity to learn about different cultures around the world.
Dates: June - August, 2020
As an International Social Volunteer (ISV), you will support international students who visit Canada during June, July and August and participate in the English For Success (EFS) program activities. The EFS program focuses on building confidence in English communication and presentation skills as well as discovery of the 6 different Faculties that the University of Waterloo has to offer. There are three separate intakes of students for a four-week period during the months of June, July, and August.
ISV's will communicate with and support these students in developing their language by attending social activities throughout the summer. Potential events you could attend include bonfires, bowling, talent shows, karaoke, campus tours, etc. You can pick the events you want to attend, based on your schedule!
As an ISV, you will also receive one hour of in-class training in intercultural awareness and cross-cultural experience when supporting English Language Learners (ELL's). You will help to provide a truly immersive Canadian experience by building friendships with these students.
The goal of the position is to provide you with an opportunity to learn about other cultures and have an excellent cross-cultural experience, while having fun and making some new friends along the way!
To participate as an International Social Volunteer, you will need to:
- Attend a one hour training session about intercultural awareness and supporting English Language Learners (ELLs) during the last week of May (date to be confirmed with members in advance)
- Regularly attend organized social programs and engage in English conversation with EFS students
- Participate in at least 8 organized events/activities of your choice from June-August
- Serve as a positive role model
Opportunities for growth and development
As an International Social Volunteer, you will:
Receive a letter of participation at the end of the program, upon request
- Receive a discounted price for attending trips alongside EFS students on excursions to places such as Canada’s Wonderland, Laser Quest, Niagara Falls, and Toronto shopping trips (subject to trip availability).
- Note: Any optional off-campus activities you would like to attend with EFS will incur a personal cost. Free events will also be available to attend.
- Strengthen your cross-cultural experience working with English Language Learner students who visit Canada for a short period of time.
- Receive training in intercultural awareness that will support you in future cross-cultural experiences.
How to apply
Please complete the online application form.
Application Deadline: Friday, May 15th, 2020.