Chair of Sociology and Legal Studies, St. Jerome's University
Director of Human Sciences, St. Jerome's University
Adjunct Professor, School of Planning, University of Waterloo
PhD. (Sociology), York University
MA (Sociology), York University
BA (Honours), Trinity College, Dublin
Research and teaching areas
- Contemporary and classical theory and methodology
- Phenomenology, hermeneutics, analysis
- The culture of cities: Dublin, Montreal, Toronto
- City life and well being: the grey zone of health and illness
- Theorizing community and the urban-rural discourse
- Sociology of the family (parent/child relations)
- Ancient Athens (Homer, Sophocles, Socrates, Plato, Aristotle)
- Socrates and sociology
Recent course offerings at the undergraduate level have included:
- SOC 101 Introductory Sociology
- SOC 302 Introduction to Contemporary Theory
- SOC 355J Power and Parenting
- SOC 369J The Sociology of Community
- SOC 408 Contemporary Debates in Sociological Theory
Recent graduate offerings have included:
- SOC 704 Key Debates in Social Theory
- SOC 708 Contemporary Debates in Sociological Theory
- SOC 717 Reflexive Research Methodology
- SOC 789 Hermeneutics, Dialectic, Plato
- Bonner, K. 1998. Power and Parenting: A Hermeneutic of the Human Condition. New York: St. Martin’s Press. (176 p.)
- Bonner, K. 1997. A Great Place to Raise Kids: Interpretation, Science, and the Urban-Rural Debate. Montreal: McGill-Queen’s University Press. (241 p.) (Paperback ed. 1999)
- Bonner, K. 1992. Gemeinschaft and Socialization: Myth, Ideology, or Reality. Social Science and Humanities Research Council (Research Report 498-89-1004). (170 p.)
- Bonner, K. 2013. (Forthcoming) “Exciting, Intoxicating and Dangerous: Some Tiger Effects on Ireland and the Culture of Dublin.” Canadian Journal of Irish Studies. Vol 40, No X (xxx- xxx)
- Bonner, K. 2013. (Forthcoming) "Socrates and Crito: Anxiety and the Engagement between the Empirical and Analytic (Ideal) Worlds of Athens." Selected Papers from the Sixteenth Annual Conference of the Association for Core Texts and Courses. Moraga, California: ACTC Press.
- Bonner, K. 2013. (Forthcoming) “Eros and Ironic Intoxication: Profound Longing, Madness and Discipleship in Plato’s Symposium and in Modern Life“ In History of the Human Sciences, Vol 26, No 3 (xxx-xxx)
- Bonner, K. 2011. “Politics, Principles, and Death in Antigone” In the Selected Papers from the Fourteenth Annual Conference of the Association for Core Texts and Courses Moraga, California: ACTC Press. (157- 164)
- Bonner, K. 2011. “The Illness of Hope, the Cure of Truth and the Difference of Principle: A Reflexive Analysis of Antigone’s and Meursault’s Confrontation with Death.” In Spectacular Death: Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Mortality and (Un)representability. Ed. Tristanne Connolly. Bristol, United Kingdom: Intellect Press. (43 – 56)
- Bonner, K. 2010. “Peter McHugh and Analysis: The One and the Many, the Universal and the Particular, the Whole and the Part.” In Human Studies. Vol 33 (253–269)
- Bonner, K. 2010. “Temple Bar, Density and Circulation: The City as a Terrain of Many Voices.” In Circulation, ed. Will Straw and Alexandra Boutras. Montreal: McGill-Queen’s University Press.
- Bonner, K. 2009. “A dialogical exploration of the grey zone of health and illness: medical science, anthropology, and Plato on alcohol consumption.” In Theoretical Medicine and Bioethics Volume 30, Issue 2 (81- 103)
- Bonner, K. 2008. “Health, Well-Being and Intoxication.” Health, Illness and Disease: Inter-Disciplinary Perspectives, (11pp)
- Bonner, K. 2008. “Arendt’s Concept of Action: The Tension between Citizen Participation and Planning in Dublin” In Acts of Citizenship, Eds. Engin Isin and Greg Nielsen. London: ZED Books (137 – 159)
- Bonner, K. 2007. “A Fry-up and an Espresso: Bewley’s Café and Cosmopolitan Dublin.” New Hibernia Review, 11(2): 9-20.
- Bonner, K. 2007. “Reflexive Theorizing while Traveling in Montreal and Toronto: The Global Cities Discourse, New Urbanism and the Travel Essays of Jan Morris.” In Ed. J. Sloane, Urban Enigmas: Montreal and Toronto and the Problem of Comparing Cities. Montreal: McGill-Queen’s University Press.
- Bonner, K. 2004. A Collaborative Essay on the Story of Dublin: The Vitality of Old Place in New Times. The Canadian Journal of Irish Studies 30, (2): 10-20.
- Bonner, K. (Series Co-Editor) & A. Boutras and W. Straw (Eds.) 2010. Circulation and the City. Montreal: McGill-Queen’s University Press.
- Bonner, K. (Series Co-Editor) & J. Sloane (Ed.) 2007. Urban Enigmas: Montreal and Toronto and the Problem of Comparing Cities. Montreal: McGill-Queen’s University Press.
- Bonner, K. (Co-Guest Editor) 2004. Special issue “Continuity, Contradiction and Change in Contemporary Dublin,” Canadian Journal of Irish Studies 30 (2).
- Bonner, K. (Series Co-Editor) & A. Blum 2003. The Imaginative Structure of the City. McGill-Queen’s University Press series on The Culture of Cities.
- Bonner, K. 2006. “Building Research Networks.” Special Issue: Open Letter on Poetics and Public Culture in Canada.
- Bonner, K. 2004. Rolling with the Waves: An Interview with Peter J. Finnegan (on Dublin’s Vision Document). The Canadian Journal of Irish Studies 30 (2): 60-66.