Frequently Asked Questions - Undergraduates
What's the difference between course selection and course enrollment?
Course selection is when you get the chance to choose your courses for a later term. This means you don't have to wait until open enrollment starts, and you still have the option of changing your mind once enrollment opens. The scheduling system will try to create conflict free schedules depending on what students choose during course selection.
Course enrollment is when you can change your selection choices or enroll in courses if you haven't already. You will need to check that courses don't clash with one another and some courses may already be full.
How do I choose my courses?
When choosing your courses please note:
- you must meet the course prerequisites
- ensure there is space in the class
- your schedule is conflict free with your other courses
You can add courses during Drop/Add period however prior, my advice is to consult the Schedule of Classes and the Course descriptions webpage and make a list of preferred courses and contingency (back up) courses
I want to enroll in a course but according to Quest, the course is full. What can I do?
If a course is full, but cross-listed (ie. Held With another course): Check on the Schedule of Classes to see if there is space on the cross-listed side and enroll that way
- If the course code ends with “R”:
- If the Campus Location (Camp Loc) is STJ on the Schedule of Classes, email the instructor directly. If no instructor is listed, email Joe Varamo.
- For all other SOC courses cross listed with other disciplines, please email the Professor or Cross-listed Departments directly.
- For all other SOC courses cross-listed with LS, please add your name to the waitlist. If course is not listed on the waitlist, please email professor and cc: Cyntia Brantan.
- No reserves will be overridden for 3B students requesting 400 level courses
- No reserves will be overridden for any student requesting SOC 101 reserved for SOC & LS perspective majors
- If the Campus Location (Camp Loc) is STJ on the Schedule of Classes, contact the instructor directly. If no instructor is listed, email Joe Varamo.
- If you're interested in taking LS 101 online, please email Joe Varamo.
- For all LS courses cross-listed with SOC at UWU, add your name to the waitlist. If course is not listed on the waitlist, please email professor and cc: Cyntia Bratan.
- For all other LS courses cross listed with other disciplines at UW, please contact: Professors or Cross-listed Departments directly.
- No reserves will be overridden for 3B students requesting 400 level courses.
For courses in other departments, please see the Enrollment problems and course overrides page.
I want to enroll in a course but I don't meet the pre-requisite requirements. What can I do?
In most cases we are unable to override pre-requisite requirements. The requirements are there to ensure you have the knowledge necessary for the course. Please contact the course instructor and cc your academic advisor. The instructor and advisor will review your academic record and let you know if you will be permitted to take the course.
What is my academic level?
Normally, progression to the next academic level is based on successful completion of the number of units specified in the following chart.
|Plans||Units Threshold to Move to this Academic Level|