When students experience something outside of their control in a term, such as illness or bereavement, they could make a petition for academic relief.

Steps to file a Petition:

A petition consists of a completed online form, and your supporting documents.

  1. Discuss your situation with an academic advisor. 
  2. Fill out the Petition for exception to academic regulations form
  3. Read and follow the instructions on the form very carefully.
  4. Gather any supporting documents that will support your case. Such documentation may consist of:
    1. certification of illness/injury from a medical professional (e.g., Verification of Illness form);
    2. summary of functional limitations for your disabling condition (e.g. Disability Verification Form)
    3. statements from employers regarding work hours/conditions;
    4. documentation for personal difficulties from an appropriate counselling individual/body, (e.g., Counselling Services, a university chaplain or other clergy);
    5. verification of bereavement (e.g., obituary notice);
    6. court documents or police reports;
    7. letter from a residence staff member, with residence Don's input as appropriate;
    8. hospital records with dates.
  5. Follow the instructions on the online form and upload all relevant documents. If you require assistance, contact

Note: the committee cannot accept documents pertaining to a third party (e.g. medical records for a family member).