A Future for Humanity: Faculty of Arts Strategic Plan 2023–2030
Arts advances knowledge through excellence in teaching, research, and creativity across the humanities, social sciences, and creative arts. Aligned with the University’s strengths in work-integrated learning, we prepare our students for life and for work with values that emphasize the welfare of individuals, communities, and the environments in which we live.
The Faculty of Arts will contribute to a better world though positive social impact. Our research, teaching, and learning will emphasize a conviction that all peoples are worthy of respect, empathy, and socio-economic wellbeing. We will apply our resources and talents to reduce harms inflicted by people on each other, on themselves, and on the environment, while seeking to advance human ingenuity to benefit all.
Our values are grounded in the concept of a civil society: for each freedom we espouse there is a concomitant responsibility.
- Free inquiry driven by curiosity and the obligation to seek truth through critical analysis
- Social justice in all its dimensions, including equity, diversity, inclusion, and anti-racism
- Respect and tolerance
- Compassion and empathy
- Honesty, integrity, and personal responsibility
- Collegiality, cooperation, and collaboration
Explore our strategic plan
- Territorial Acknowledgement
- Setting the Stage
- Message from the Dean
- Executive Summary
- Priorities for Change (Introduction)
- Looking Forward
- Appendix 1: Glossary of Terms
- Appendix 2: Strategic Plan Task Force and Working Groups