United College offers residence, academic courses, and learning opportunities to students at the University of Waterloo. We are affiliated with the University and are located on its main campus.
United's purpose is to support the University of Waterloo community by providing a unique learning environment that educates social innovators to shape a just and humane world.
University of Waterloo courses are taught at United, including courses in International Development, the Master of Development Practice program, Indigenous studies, Human rights, Religious studies and Canadian studies.
At United you can also find the Waterloo Indigenous Student Centre, and GreenHouse, a social impact incubator that offers programs, opportunities and a community for students to develop problem-solving skills, form innovative ideas and make new forms of sustainable impact around social or environmental change.
Many Waterloo students – both undergraduate and graduate – choose to live at United. Some come here for the community, some for the learning experience, and some to be part of special opportunities like the Environment Living Learning Community (LLC), the Women in Engineering LLC, the Math FARM LLC, the French Residents Floor and the Waterloo Indigenous Student Residence
This month, United College was represented over 8,000 km across the North Atlantic Ocean. Our principal Rick Myers and Chancellor the Rt. Honorable Michaelle Jean travelled to the African Development University (ADU) institution located in Niamey, the capital of Niger. Here, United College signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the African Development University (ADU) to explore mutually beneficial academic collaboration.
Geography student Elizabeth Beach who recently won the Cronk-Mastin scholarship at the Stanley Knowles lecture explains the importance of giving back for Giving Tuesday.
With Giving Tuesday just around the corner, alumnus Andrew Grimson shares his story on the value of giving back to United College.
With the start of a new year, St. Paul’s Student Life remained the same: a joy-filled community that continues to come together even in the hardest of times.
St. Paul’s is excited to announce the (near) opening of our outdoor ice rink found near the walking path between St. Paul’s and main campus.
As the year came to an end on the University of Waterloo campus, St. Paul’s Student Life took a moment to celebrate a wonderful semester. Over the last few weeks, some floors hosted dinners and celebrated in a way that felt best in their community.
Operating on the University of Waterloo campus, at United College, GreenHouse is a social impact incubator for students and community members who want to create social or environmental change. GreenHouse focuses its training on the development of entrepreneurial and intrapreneurial knowledge, skills, and mindsets as well as helps students build their professional networks. The GreenHouse team delivers the Social Innovators in Training program and the Community Innovation Challenge program every term. The Community Innovation Challenge program is delivered in partnership with public sector and non-profit organizations and provides meaningful opportunities for students to identify, build and test new innovations within host organizations. GreenHouse manages the Social Impact Fund, which provides seed funding to advance the creation and launch of student-led programs, products, services, ventures and other social change initiatives. GreenHouse hosts the Social Impact Showcase every term to celebrate the accomplishments of its students.
The Student Engagement Coordinator is responsible for in-person and online student activities and events as well as social media initiatives that increase undergraduate and graduate student awareness and engagement in GreenHouse programs.
Job Status: Full-time, 1-year contract late November/early December 2022 - November 2023 with a possible extension based on funding.
- Work with the GreenHouse team to develop student engagement objectives, key messages, creative elements and create promotional materials.
- Remain current and knowledgeable with student engagement trends and best practices
- Stay current with GreenHouse student stories, create promotional material to showcase the accomplishments of GreenHouse students and their ventures
- Design and run student engagement events, working with students and alumni as needed
- Plan, create and post social media content to engage with prospective students with the goal of increasing awareness and engagement in GreenHouse programs and events
- Develop and maintain key partnerships with student clubs, student associations and student leaders
- Build and maintain email marketing templates and mailing lists
- Maintain a database of faculty to support in-class student engagement activities
- Schedule and deliver class presentations to promote events
- Schedule and operate the GreenHouse booth at events
- Keep an inventory of promotional material and refresh as needed
- Maintain the GreenHouse webpages with up-to-date information
- Set up event registration and application pages, participant surveys and feedback forms
- Collect and summarize data from events to support student recruitment promotion of future events
- Be the point of contact for all new incoming GreenHouse inquiries from students
- Organize and execute community-building activities for GreenHouse innovators
Skills & Experience:
Work periodic evenings, weekends, and extended hours as required.
- Experience in a student engagement role
- Experience working with university students and student associations/groups
- Experience organizing and executing events or programs aimed at enhancing student experience
- Experience creating, implementing, and assessing social media initiatives
- Experience in a social enterprise, innovation space, or entrepreneurial experience will have an added advantage.
- Post-secondary degree
- Knowledge in social entrepreneurship and innovation
- Skilled communicator – verbal, written and on electronic/social media platforms
- Ability to prioritize multiple responsibilities and meet deadlines
- Able to work effectively in a team environment
- Experience using photography tools and equipment
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of and practical experience with developing and delivering effective social media content
- Knowledge of social media trends and ability to learn and master emerging social media technologies/platforms
- Must be competent in Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Canva, Airtable and online meeting platforms
To apply, forward your cover letter and current résumé to email@example.com. The committee will begin reviewing applications starting November 14, 2022.