PhD Criminology (Simon Fraser)
MA Sociology (Queen's)
Research and teaching areas
- Research methods
- Juvenile delinquency
- Offending dynamics
- Substance use
- Social networks
- Criminological theory
My research has mostly focused on examining the relationship between peers and offending using a variety of approaches (e.g., social network analysis, surveys, experiments). I have also done some research on drug dealing and gang networks.
- Gallupe, O. & Gravel, J. (2018). Social network position of gang members in schools: Implications for recruitment and gang prevention. Justice Quarterly, 35(3). 505-525.
- Gallupe, O., Boman, J., Nash, R., & Castro, E. (In press). Deviant peer preferences: A simplified approach to account for peer selection effects. Deviant Behavior.
- Gallupe, O., McLevey, J., & Brown, S. (In press). Selection and influence: A meta-analysis of the association between peer and personal offending. Journal of Quantitative Criminology.
- Bouchard,, M., Gallupe, O., Dawson, K., & Anamali, M. (2018). No place like home? Availability, opportunity, and substance use in adolescence. Journal of Youth Studies, 21(6), 747-764.
- Gallupe, O. (2017). The influence of popular and delinquent adolescents on school delinquency: Specifying the key delinquent models. Journal of Crime and Justice, 40(2), 101-118.
- Gallupe, O., Nguyen, H., Bouchard, M., Schulenberg, J. L., Chenier, A., & Cook, K. D. (2016). An experimental test of deviant modeling. Journal of Research in Crime and Delinquency, 53(4), 482-505.
- Panebianco, D., Gallupe, O., Carrington, P. J., & Colozzi, I. (2016). Personal support networks, social capital, and risk of relapse among individuals treated for substance use issues. International Journal of Drug Policy, 27, 146-153.
- Gallupe, O., Bouchard, M, & Davies, G. (2015). Delinquent displays and social status among adolescents. Canadian Journal of Criminology and Criminal Justice, 57(4), 439-474.
- Hofmann, D., & Gallupe, O. (2015). Leadership protection in drug-trafficking networks. Global Crime, 16(2), 123-138.
- Gallupe, O., & Bouchard, M. (2015). The influence of positional and experienced social benefits on the relationship between peers and alcohol use. Rationality & Society, 27(1), 40-69.
- Gallupe, O. (2014). Social status versus coping as motivation for alcohol use. Journal of Youth Studies, 17(1), 79-91.
- Gallupe, O., & Baron, S. (2014). Morality, self-control, deterrence and drug use: Street youths and situational action theory. Crime and Delinquency. 60(2), 284-305.
- Gallupe, O., & Bouchard, M. (2013). Adolescent parties and substance use: Situational peer influences on substance use. Journal of Criminal Justice, 41(3), 162-171.
- Gallupe, O., Bouchard, M., & Caulkins, J.P. (2011). No change is a good change? Restrictive deterrence in illegal drug markets. Journal of Criminal Justice, 39(1), 81-89.
- Gallupe, O. & Baron, S. (2009). Street youth, relational strain, and drugs. Journal of Drug Issues, 39, 524-545.