What skills can a Peer Success Coach help me develop or improve?
Our Peer Success Coaches are upper-year undergraduate and graduate students from different faculties who can teach you key foundational study skills and strategies for academic success.
- Study strategies: Learn effective ways to study, improve your concentration, or understand how you learn.
- Time management: Create and follow a schedule, plan for study time and assignments, learn how to reduce procrastination, set goals and priorities, and prepare for learning in different course formats (i.e. online, blended, in-person).
- Note-taking: Take useful lecture notes, or learn how to create and organize study notes.
- Reading skills: Learn how to read textbooks effectively, or how to skim and scan reading material.
- Test preparation and test anxiety: Learn test-taking strategies, plan study time, or how to manage test anxiety.
Looking for support in other areas? Check out a list of other academic and life wellness services on campus and what they offer.
A Peer Success Coach appointment is an opportunity for you to:
- learn about various academic resources and learning strategies
- reflect on your academic goals
- identify your learning style
- develop a personalized action plan
At the end of your appointment, you can book a follow-up appointment with your coach or connect to another campus resource.
Cancelling an appointment
If you need to cancel or reschedule your Peer Success Coaching appointment, please let us know 24 hours in advance. You can contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 519-888-4567 ext. 84410. Be sure to include your name and date of appointment.
Study halls for fall 2022 begin Thursday, September 15.
Drop into a Warrior Study Hall on Thursdays at 5 p.m. in the Learning Lab, second floor of Dana Porter (DP) or the RBC Information Commons, ground floor of the Davis Centre (DC) to study with your fellow Warriors. Come together in person to set goals and work independently or in groups each week. Sessions are facilitated by a Peer Success Coach who will:
- Share weekly academic tips and strategies
- Provide support with setting and meeting study goals
- Help you increase your productivity and focus
- Be there to answer any questions you may have
Sessions are 1.5 hours long and broken down into 25 minute focused work sessions with 5 minute breaks in between. Use this time to stay on top of readings, assignments, and studying. Each week a Peer Success Coach will introduce you to a new academic skill that can help you succeed this term.
Learn how to set goals that will help you make the most of your term.
This workshop will help you review and understand course expectations, evaluate and set up your study space, and review strategies to help you manage all of your personal and academic commitments.
Please note this workshop is only offered in the first month of the term.
By participating in this workshop you will learn how to:
- Use your syllabus and other resources in your course(s) to understand course expectations
- Plan for the term and find a routine that works for you
- Identify an effective study environment
- Develop goals to help you work toward academic success