Estimated reading time: 6-10 minutes

student working on laptop banner

Do you want to gain work experience in Canada during and after your degree? It is important that you do so legally. Unauthorized work is taken very seriously by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

To work in Canada, you will also need a Social Insurance Number (SIN)

If you hold a valid open work permit, obtained prior to starting your studies at Waterloo and want to use it to work more than the study permit regulations allow, please speak with one of our immigration consultants.

Students enrolled in an English (or French) as a second language (ESL) program only, cannot work off campus. This would include if you are enrolled solely in the ESL programs based out of Renison University College’s English Language Institute (ELI). If you are registered full-time at the ELI and your study permit has the R186(f) work condition on it, you can work on campus at Renison.