Degree options

Woman presenting thesis with abstract models and drawings

Master of Architecture

The Master of Architecture is a two-year degree program. The program accepts applicants from pre-professional architecture programs, in which students are expected to have completed the majority of the courses required for professional accreditation. Students holding a pre-professional Bachelor of Architectural Studies (BAS) from the University of Waterloo (or an equivalent degree to the BAS from another university) can complete the Master of Architecture degree requirements in a minimum of three terms and up to a maximum of six terms.  All other students with a pre-professional Architecture degree admitted into the Master of Architecture will be required to complete two terms of transitional coursework in preparation for the thesis year and are expected to complete degree requirements in a maximum of six academic terms.

Intake for the program is in the Fall term only. 

Master of Architecture (Water)

The University of Waterloo offers a unique research-based Masters and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) collaborative program in Water. This program, jointly offered by ten departments across the Faculties of Arts, Engineering, Environment, Mathematics and Science, is intended to promote multi- and inter-disciplinary perspectives related to water. The goal of the program is to supplement disciplinary (specialist) training offered in individual departments with perspectives from a variety of water-related disciplines. Students graduating from the collaborative program will be better equipped to work in multidisciplinary teams to solve increasingly complex water issues.

Master of Architecture with Structures Certificate Program

The Structures Graduate Certificate curriculum gives students an opportunity to study structural engineering concurrently with their pursuit of the Master of Architecture degree at the University of Waterloo. The structures certificate requires students to complete eight courses in Civil Engineering at the undergraduate level. It does not give students accreditation or professional designation in Structural Engineering or Engineering. 

Please note that students who enroll in the Master of Architecture program with the Structures certificate are permitted to take three additional terms to complete the coursework requirements.