Are you an international student preparing to search for work in Canada after graduation?
Not sure where to begin with the job search? Are you looking to join a community of students going through the same experience? Join the Job Search Club!
The Job Search Club is a new program developed by career advisors at the Centre for Career Action (CCA) for graduating international visa students.
The program includes a combination of small and large group online discussions, practical activities and information sessions. You’ll gain important skills and knowledge to support your job search.
- Develop a personalized work search strategy
- Strengthen knowledge and skills in résumés, networking and LinkedIn
- Increase confidence in navigating career challenges
- Gain a deeper understanding of the transition into Canadian workplaces by hearing international alumni share their personal experiences
- Build personal and professional connections with fellow graduates
- Learn about resources and supports available through CCA and other campus/community partners
Sample session topics
- Taking your résumé to the next level
- How to prepare for job fairs
- Alumni panel: Working in Canada
- Managing your online presence and LinkedIn
- How to network and have great career conversations
- Employment rights
- Immigration and employment
To participate, you must meet the following eligibility requirements. You:
- Are an international visa student on a study permit
- Are registered as a part-time or full-time student in an undergraduate or graduate program (PhD students and postdoctoral scholars are not eligible)
- Are in your last year of study at Waterloo
- Aim to work in Canada after graduation and are not planning to immediately register for further education or pursue work in another country/location
- Have a clear idea of the kind of work you are interested in and need support
- Commit to dedicating 3-5 hours per week to the Job search club including weekly sessions and take-home activities
The Winter 2023 program runs for six weeks starting on Tuesday, January 10 with a two-hour virtual session every Tuesday from 6-8 p.m.
In addition to the two-hour weekly session, you’ll need to commit about one to two hours of time per week to complete mandatory and optional at-home activities.
If you’re eligible and participate, we expect you to make every effort to attend all of the sessions to get the most out of the program. You must attend at least five out of the six sessions to earn a certificate of completion.
How to apply
Space is limited. To apply, please fill out the Job Search Club application form.
Note: Submissions for winter 2023 are now closed.