Vast urbanization and increasing pressure to meet high demand in power delivery have resulted in a significant growth in underground cable network. In addition, underground cables being a critical asset group, any outages due to their failure will result in considerable service delivery and economic impact on the operation of distribution networks.
- Understand the basic dielectric theory, material properties and design details of underground cables and their accessories.
- Understand typical failure modes and their early detection of underground cables and their accessories.
- Discuss in detail various off-line and on-line diagnostic tests for condition monitoring of underground cables.
|No. Of Weeks||Topic||Sub-Topics|
|2||Basic dielectric theory||
|2||Materials and Designs||
|2||Degradation and failures||
Recommended reference books
- Electrical Power Cable Engineering, Editor: William A. Thue, ISBN: 978-0-8247-4303-1 (hardback) 978-0-203-97061-4 (electronic), June 2005.
- Power Cables and Their Application, Power Cables and their Applications: 3rd Edition, Editor: Lothar Heinhold, ISBN: 978-3-8009-1535-4, 1996.
- Cable Systems for High and Extra-High Voltage: Development, Manufacture, Testing, Installation and Operation of Cables and their Accessories, Egon Peschke, Rainer von Olshusen, ISBN: 978-3-89578-118-6, March 2000.
Selected papers from the field of Underground power cables; and these papers will be posted on University of Waterloo ACE.
General background in power system components and distribution networks. Knowledge of the course material from ECE 6608PD is an asset.