Andrew Kennings is an Associate Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Waterloo.
His area of research lies in the design automation of Very Large Scale Integration (VLSI) circuits. Professor Kennings’ research sponsors include Actel Corporation, Artel Corporation, NSERC and Symphony EDA. He is currently the Chair of the NSERC Scholarships and Fellowships Selection Committee for Electrical Engineering.
In addition to numerous technical reports, journal and conference papers, Professor Kennings co-authored the chapter, “Circuit Placements” in the Encyclopaedia of Algorithms. He also wrote the chapter on “Force Directed and other Continuous Displacement Methods” in the Handbook of Algorithms for physical design automation. His third book chapter covered interior point approaches for the VLSI placement problem in “Interior Point Methods of Mathematical Programming”.
Professor Kennings has also worked in the industry. He wrote CAD software in the Programmable Logic Division at Cypress Semiconductor Corporation for their lines of SRAM-based CPLO’s. Additionally, Professor Kennings designed algorithms for placement and physical synthesis for Actel Corporation’s various lines of antifuse and flash-based FPGAs.
- Circuits Design & VLSI
- Computer & Software Engineering
- Digital Design And Fabrication Technologies
- 1997, Doctorate, PhD, University of Waterloo
- 1994, Master's, MASc, University of Waterloo
- 1992, Bachelor's, BASc, University of Waterloo
- ECE 140 - Linear Circuits
- ECE 124 - Digital Circuits and Systems
- MTE 120 - Circuits
- Darav, Nima Karimpour and Kennings, Andrew and Tabrizi, Aysa Fakheri and Westwick, David and Behjat, Laleh, Eh? Placer: A High-Performance Modern Technology-Driven Placer, ACM Transactions on Design Automation of Electronic Systems (TODAES), 21(3), 2016
- Li, Yaoqiang and Chuang, Pierce I and Kennings, Andrew and Sachdev, Manoj and others, Voltage-Boosted Synchronizers, Proceedings of the 25th edition on Great Lakes Symposium on VLSI, January 2015, 307 - 312
- Tabrizi, Aysa Fakheri and Darav, Nima Karimpour and Rakai, Logan and Kennings, Andrew and Swartz, William and Behjat, Laleh, A Detailed Routing-Aware Detailed Placement Technique, 2015 IEEE Computer Society Annual Symposium on VLSI, January 2015, 38 - 43
- Li, Yaoqiang and Pierce, I and Chuang, Jen and Kennings, Andrew and Sachdev, Manoj, Runtime slack-deficit detection for a low-voltage DCT circuit, 2015 IEEE 58th International Midwest Symposium on Circuits and Systems (MWSCAS), January 2015, 1 - 4
- Li, Yaoqiang and Chuang, Pierce I and Kennings, Andrew and Sachdev, Manoj and others, An FPGA Implementation of a Timing-Error Tolerant Discrete Cosine Transform, Proceedings of the 2015 ACM/SIGDA International Symposium on Field-Programmable Gate Arrays, January 2015, 266 - 266
- Darav, Nima Karimpour and Farshidi, Amin and Tabrizi, Aysa Fakheri and Marasco, Emily and Karbalaei, Amir and Kennings, Andrew and Bustany, Ismail S and Behjat, Laleh, The impact of industry-organized contests on EDA education, Microelectronics Systems Education (MSE), 2015 IEEE International Conference on, January 2015, 21 - 24
- Darav, Nima Karimpour and Kennings, Andrew and Westwick, David and Behjat, Laleh, High Performance Global Placement and Legalization Accounting for Fence Regions, Proceedings of the IEEE/ACM International Conference on Computer-Aided Design, January 2015, 514 - 519
- Kennings, Andrew and Darav, Nima Karimpour and Behjat, Laleh, Detailed placement accounting for technology constraints, 2014 22nd International Conference on Very Large Scale Integration (VLSI-SoC), January 2014, 1 - 6