Please note: The Three Minute Thesis (3MT) has been PAUSED for the 2021 competition year. If you are interested in participating in a research competition, check out GRADflix.
To be eligible to participate in the University of Waterloo Three-Minute Thesis (3MT) Competition, students must meet the following criteria:
- University of Waterloo graduate students must be registered in a master's (Thesis or MRP) or PhD program at the time of the 3MT competition. Course-based master's students are ineligible.
- 3MT presentations must focus on research conducted for a thesis, MRP or dissertation in the student's current University of Waterloo graduate program.
- Competitors must present in person, agree to be recorded, and allow those recordings to be made public (see the statement below).
Confidentiality and intellectual property
Students must understand that the presentation of their research in 3MT will be publicly accessible, e.g. available on YouTube.
The presentation of the research, will not affect any pre-existing rights following the competition except as stated below:
- Due to the nature of the competition, we will not ask judges, reviewers, staff or the audience to sign non-disclosure statements. If your research is being/has been conducted under contract with an outside sponsor, please discuss the related contractual terms of confidentiality and intellectual property with your supervisor(s) before participating in this competition.
- All public sessions of the competition, including but not limited to oral presentations, are open to the public at large. Any and all of these public sessions may be broadcast to interested persons through media which may include the Internet.
- Any data or information discussed or presented in public sessions should be considered ‘public’. If your research includes confidential or culturally sensitive material we advise that you discuss your competition entry with your supervisor(s) before entering the 3MT.
University of Waterloo, in coordinating the 3MT competition may take photographs, videotapes and/or audiotapes of the presentations or copy material prepared for use in presentation at the 3MT for promotional purposes.