- REEF Polling vs iClicker Remote
- Registering your iClicker Remote in LEARN
- Creating your REEF Account
- Entering your Access Code
- Add your course to REEF
- Join a Polling Session
- Responding to Polling Questions
Your instructor will let you know if you will be using iClickers and/or REEF polling in your class. Confirm which option they will allow before making your purchase.
Pros of REEF polling:
- You can use any Internet enabled device to respond to polling questions i.e. smartphones, tablets, laptops.
- You don't need to remember to bring your iClicker remote in addition to your other devices.
Cons of REEF polling:
- You must have a stable Internet connection to use REEF polling.
- Battery life of your device may have an impact, whereas the battery in an iClicker remote should last the whole semester.
- Beware that it takes a little longer for the REEF polling to be accepted, so try not to respond to a question at the last minute.
Login to Waterloo LEARN and select the course that is using iClickers this term.
Find the iClicker Registration link within your course. It will usually be in a Content Module. Navigate to Content and to the module that contains the link.
- Enter the serial number found on the back of your iClicker Remote.
- Leave the email address as your WatIAM id @ uwaterloo.ca.
- The country should be changed to Canada.
Note: This process does not work using the Safari browser.
When your remote is successfully registered, it will appear on-screen along with the registration date.
Confirm that your instructor will be using REEF polling. It is their decision as to whether they allow REEF or only i>Clicker remotes in their classroom.
An app is available for either iOS or Andriod users. Otherwise, you can access REEF through a web browser.
Click on Create a New Account.
Search for: University of Waterloo
Enter your personal information.
- Your first and last name must match what it is in Waterloo LEARN.
- Use your email@example.com as your email address.
This must be done so that the software will be able to determine who you are in the Waterloo LEARN classlist. Not doing this may mean that you won't be assigned any grades for your participation in the polling sessions.
Note: Although the REEF account creation labels Student ID as recommended, uWaterloo strongly discourages its students from providing this information. The Student ID field should be left blank.
Purchase your Access Code from the Waterloo Bookstore. Do NOT purchase a REEF subscription through the App, as the Bookstore pricing is cheaper.
The Access Code can only be entered in the web browser version of REEF at: https://app.reef-education.com/#/login
Login to REEF and click on the Menu icon in the top left corner.
Select Enter Access Code from the menu
Enter the Access Code you received from the Waterloo Bookstore and click Submit
Click on the Menu icon and select Courses. Click on the '+' in the top right corner to add a course.
Search for your Institution, the University of Waterloo and select it when it pops up in the search results.
Search for your Instructor or Course. Your course will only appear if your instructor has created it. If you are unable to find your course, confirm that your instructor will be using REEF and has created the REEF course.
Select your course and click on the Add this Course button.
Once your instructor has started a Polling Session you can join the session. Select your course and click on the Join button.
Note: The Join button will NOT appear until your instructor has started the Polling Session.
Once you have successfully joined the session, you will see a message indicating that you're connected.
Once your instructor has asked a question, you will be given an opportunity to select an answer.
Once you have selected an answer, you will see a message indicating that the answer has been received.