Welcome! This service is available to University of Waterloo faculty, postdoctoral fellows and students.
The service is limited to print materials from Dana Porter Library, Davis Centre Library, and Witer Learning Resource Centre that show in Omni as "available" and where a digital version is not readily available.
Other UWaterloo library and affiliated locations are running their own separate print pickup service. Future phases will integrate these services and add other campus locations.
For this service to work, three actions on your part are necessary:
- Place requests
- Select a pickup time
- Pickup @ Porter!
- Place your request through the Omni discovery catalogue
- After locating the Porter or Davis item, sign in using your WatIAM credentials
- You will see two options:
- Get it from a Waterloo library
- Request a digitized chapter/article/excerpt
- Select Get it from a Waterloo library to access the request form
- Add a comment if desired
- You will see a “Your request was successfully placed” message and also be able to see your request in your Omni library account
- Please note: if you want a digitized journal article or chapter of a book select Request a digitized chapter/article/excerpt
Selecting a pickup time
Pickup times are available from 11 a.m. to noon on Monday, Wednesday, and Fridays. Depending on volume, more time slots will be made available.
- Requests will be processed as they come in. Library staff will contact you if there are any available digital versions or other questions about your requests
- You will receive notification for each print item that is available for pickup
- Your item will be held for 14 days from the date you receive your notice
- The notification will include a link to the pickup time schedule
- Select the link and sign in using your WatIAM credentials
- Choose the next available pickup day and select a time slot that works for you
- Please note that there are 10 slots per hour
- You may designate someone else to pickup on your behalf
- Only one time slot is needed to collect ALL available items; the scheduler will not allow more than one time slot to be booked in a week by the same patron
- If you wish to change your pickup time please edit the original appointment
Picking up requests
The following instructions for managing pickups while maintaining social distancing will be emailed as part of the confirmation message after you have selected a pickup time:
- One piece of ID is required to pickup your materials (WatCard preferred)
- Do not use this service if you have any symptoms of COVID-19. A complete list can be found here: https://www.ontario.ca/page/covid-19-stop-spread#section-0
- Gloves and a mask are highly recommended
- Please note that if you are unable to carry all of your items with you in one trip then you will have to rejoin the end of the queue
- NOTE: Please do not sanitize library materials as these chemicals will likely cause damage. You may wish to leave your materials untouched for 48 hours as a precaution
- Pickup slots start at the top of the hour and extend until 45 minutes past the hour. Ex. 13:00 – 13:45 is the pickup window
- We cannot guarantee service if you show up outside this window. The last 15 minutes of every hour is needed for sanitization purposes and to prepare materials for the next pickup window
Location and directions
- Book Pickup @ Porter will be located just inside the main doors of the Dana Porter Library, marked LIB on the campus map. You will enter through the left main door and exit through the right main door.
- There will be a one-way path setup to ensure social distancing. Please enter via the east stairs facing the Grad House. Markings will be placed on the ground to ensure a minimum distance of 2 metres between patrons. The exit will be down the stairs in front of the main doors.
- Please note: public access to the rest of the library building is not available.
- The accessible ramp will be reserved for those with need. This ramp will be used as both an entrance and exit. As such, markings will be placed on the ground 2 metres away from the entrance of the ramp for patrons to wait while another patron with accessibility needs is picking up items
Parking and bicycle racks
- Visitor parking information can be found on the campus map
- Bicycle racks are available in front of the Library
Library materials can now be returned to any book return bin location.
Other campus print pickup services
- The Milton Good Library at Conrad Grebel University College offers a separate pickup service for items in their collection.
- Pharmacy graduate students, faculty, and post-doctoral fellows can request to borrow print materials from the Pharmacy Resource Centre by sending an email with details about the book(s) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Architecture graduate students and faculty members can request materials from Musagetes Architecture Library.
Get help with your request
Contact your librarian for help finding resources in Omni, or finding alternative resources to materials that are not yet available through the Print Pickup @ Porter service.