Reference management software
This type of software saves time by allowing you to:
- search and export citations from library databases and catalogues
- format them in the citation style of your choice
- organize, edit and annotate citations you have collected
- insert in-text citations, footnotes and bibliographies into your Word document
- share your citations and collaborate with colleagues
Choosing a reference manager
There are many software options available. The most popular among students and researchers are:
- Zotero (supported by the Library)
- RefWorks (the University of Waterloo Library is terminating the site licence for RefWorks. The RefWorks platform will no longer be available as of December 2024)
This comparison of reference management software (courtesy of University of Toronto Library) can help you chose the best reference manager for you.
Zotero is fully supported by the Library and institutional storage is free for the University of Waterloo community. You can export your citations directly to Zotero from Omni, the library catalogue, and many library subscription databases.
If you need help, you can:
The University of Waterloo Library is terminating the site licence for RefWorks. The RefWorks platform will no longer be available as of December 2024. Therefore, you will have to migrate your references/database to another option or lose access to your citations on the RefWorks platform.