Course reserves is a service that works with instructors to make course readings available to students in either paper or electronic formats.
Benefits of using Course reserves
- We ensure that links to e-journal articles and e-books for your course readings are persistent.
- We are your legal means of digitizing copyrighted material.
- We link to your course reserve list from the library resources widget in LEARN.
- Students can also view their reserves in the Student Portal using the course materials widget.
- With Course reserves, you can
- Create and manage course reserve lists for the current term
- View lists from previous and upcoming terms
- Designate a proxy user: A course teaching assistant can add reserves to a course on your behalf; a full proxy can create new course reserve lists for you as well as add new items to all your existing reserve lists
- Track the status of reserve requests
- Subscribe to email notification to be updated when new items become available on reserve for your course
- Assign tags to individual reserve items
- Switch to student mode to view your course reserves as students see them
- Get usage statistics for electronic and paper reserves using instructor course tools
- Clone a course reserve list for a future term or import items from previous courses.
Types of course reserve material
- Personal materials of instructors, such as assignment questions/solutions, for which they own the copyright
- Original print books, textbooks, DVDs, and CDs
- Courseware for the current academic term
- Links to materials within our licensed electronic resources such as our electronic journal subscriptions and e-books
- Material for which we have purchased a transactional license (allow six weeks) or that qualifies under the Fair Dealing Advisory
- Digital materials for which permission has been granted
Restrictions on course reserves material
- Print copies of journal articles or book chapters/excerpts will not be placed on reserve.
- Access to electronic materials is restricted to students in the course.
Loan periods for print reserves
- One hour
- Three hours
- One day - due by desk closing the following day
- Three days - due by desk closing on the fourth day
Setting up Course reserves
To create a new course reserves list
- Click the "create a new course" option under instructor course tools on the side menu.
To add reserves
- Open a course from the list of current or upcoming courses and select the "add reserve items" option under instructor course tools from the side menu.
- You can also clone a reserves list from a past term or import items from a previous list(s).
- Use the paper request form at the Library’s Circulation desk.
Note: If you have submitted a reserve request you can mail your personal material to us or bring it to the Circulation desk of the appropriate library. Please include a note citing course and instructor information
When the term ends
- If a course is not being taught in the following term material will be taken off reserve after the final exam is written (unless we are otherwise notified).
- If needed, library books and personal materials of instructors can be left on the course reserve shelves indefinitely. Please contact Course Reserves.
- Expired course reserve lists are retained and can be found under "previous courses" in the instructor tools section of the Course reserves website. Previous courses can be cloned to a future term. Permissions will be renewed for items that require copyright clearance.
Contact Course reserves (519-888-4567)
- Dana Porter Library: email@example.com, ext. 33648
- Davis Centre Library: firstname.lastname@example.org, ext. 33761
- Musagetes Architecture Library: email@example.com, ext. 27649
- School of Optometry & Vision Science (Witer Learning Resource Centre): firstname.lastname@example.org, ext. 38875
- Conrad Grebel University College (Milton Good Library): LibCGC@library.uwaterloo.ca, ext. 24239
- Renison University College (Lusi Wong Library): email@example.com, ext. 28646
- St. Jerome’s University Library: firstname.lastname@example.org, ext. 28240