- Fines are assessed for overdue recalled materials, course reserves, and special loans.
- A fine is not assessed to your account until the item has been returned to the Library.
- You can check what fines you have by logging in to your library account. The listing of fines will indicate the title, type of fine or charge and the amount.
Fine per item
Maximum fine per item
$4 per day
One and three-day loan
One and three-hour loan
$20 per day
$0.05 per minute
|Interlibrary loans (ILL)||
$1 per day
|Media (e.g. film and audio recordings)||
$10 per day
Fines for recalled materials are assessed when you don’t return an item that has been requested by other user within seven days. Following the seven-day period, fines of $4.00 per day will be assessed to a maximum of $56. Patrons will be given 14 days to return recalled material before the item is declared lost and administration and replacement charges are added.
Replacement and processing charges
Patrons will be given 30 days to return materials that are overdue before the item is declared lost. Items declared lost will incur the following charges in addition to assessed fines for overdue recalls and course reserves:
- Non-refundable administration charge: $25
- Replacement charge: $125 (subject to adjustment at discretion of owning institution). Refund for the replacement fee will be issued if a patron returns the item before a replacement copy has been re-ordered. However, the fines assessed for recalls will be imposed.
Patron accounts will be blocked if one or more of the following criteria is met:
- one or more overdue recalled items
- $20 or more total in fines and charges
Theft and vandalism
Theft and vandalism of library materials are subject to prosecution. All such cases are referred to University of Waterloo Police Services.
Report lost or damaged items
- Items that are lost or damaged must be reported promptly to the patron's home library where staff will determine the replacement options or cost.
- Lost or damaged interlibrary loans (ILL) must be reported to Ask us immediately.
How to pay
You may pay your fines either by Interac (debit), VISA, MasterCard, American Express, personal cheque, or your WatCard.
- Fines can be paid by one of the following ways:
- In person: at the Circulation desk
- Phone: please call 519-888-4567, ext. 84600 for Dana Porter Library or ext. 36913 for Davis Centre Library.
- Mail: All cheques should be made out to "University of Waterloo" and should clearly indicate your 14-digit barcode found in your WatCard. Mail your cheque to:
Dana Porter Library
University of Waterloo
200 University Avenue West
Waterloo ON N2L 3G1
- Appeals must be made at the patron’s home university.
- If you would like to dispute a fine, please request and complete an appeal form from any of the circulation desks.