University of Waterloo students, faculty, staff, and retirees may use Interlibrary loan (ILL) to request materials, not owned by UWaterloo Library, from another library free of charge.
Place an interlibrary loan (ILL) request
- Digital scans of chapters or articles can arrive within hours depending on availability. Print items can arrive within three days and most items available from a Canadian library arrive within two weeks. International requests can take longer to obtain.
- Copies: If you requested a copy, you will be sent a web link to an electronic copy, with instructions for retrieving it.
- Loans: You choose which library to use as your pick-up location for Interlibrary loans. You will be notified via email when your Interlibrary loans are ready to pick up.
- Materials can only be picked up by the person who made the original request or someone on his/her behalf that has a written note from the requestor.
- You can always track the status of your ILL request by logging into Omni.
Borrowing period and return
- The lending library determines the length of the loan period for items that you borrow through ILL.
- The lending library may stipulate any further restrictions on the use of material. For example, "in library use only".
- You may be required to pay for the purchase of some documents on a cost-recovery basis. You will always be notified in advance of any charges that may apply.
- Items borrowed via Interlibrary loan must be returned to any circulation desk during open hours.
All interlibrary loan issues can be reported by phone (519-888-4567, ext. 42598) or email at email@example.com.
Not-for-profit publicly funded institutions can borrow materials from the University of Waterloo libraries through the ILL service. Fill out the ILL system request form to submit your request; free email requests will not be processed.
Lending to commercial for-profit organizations is limited to print items owned by Waterloo libraries. Charges apply; please email firstname.lastname@example.org for cost estimates. Commercial borrowers should fill out the ILL system request form; email requests will not be processed.
- OWTU (National Library)
- UWW (OCLC)
- CaOWtU (NUC)
- Books: six weeks to any of the Ontario Council of University Libraries (OCUL); six weeks to the rest of Canada and international
Items not for loan
- Serials, theses, rare books, audiovisual, and newspapers
Canada; international; Ontario Council of Universities (OCUL); Conférence des recteurs et des principaux des universités du Québec (CREPUQ); Canadian Association of Research Libraries (CARL); Council of Prairie and Pacific University Libraries (COPPUL), and Council of Atlantic University Libraries (CAUL)
|Canada||International||OCUL; CREPUQ; CARL; COPPUL, and CAUL|
no extra charges
|Maps||charges and availability vary|
|Replacement fee||$69 - $144|