Records of initial consultations with the Conflict Management & Human Rights Office (CMAHRO) regarding conflicts, possible human-rights-related infringements, and other forms of unethical behaviour.
This records class is a Personal Information Bank.
Content & Scope
The records include notes, supporting documents, and related correspondence.
- For case files related to conflict and unethical behaviour, see HS04 – Conflict & Unethical Behaviour Case Files.
- For records related to alleged infringements under the Human Rights Code, see HS07 – Human Rights Complaint Files.
- For records related to formal resolution of issues relating to students, see ST80 – Student Appeals Case Files, ST85 – Student Discipline Case Files, and ST88 – Student Grievances Case Files.
- For records related to formal resolution of issues relating to faculty and staff, see HR43 – Discipline (Faculty) Case Files, HR45 – Discipline (Staff) Case Files, and HR48 – Dispute Resolution and Grievances.
Associate Vice-President, Human Rights, Equity & Inclusion.
1 year, providing no further services are provided relating to the case.
Note: In cases where further action occurs within 1 year, the records may become part of a conflict and unethical behaviour case file, a human rights complaint file, or a discipline or grievance file as appropriate to the particular issue and its resolution (see related records above).
Responsible Units should document the disposal/destruction of official records using the University records destruction form or equivalent documentation, to verify that we are following our records retention rules.
- University of Waterloo Act, 1972.
- Policy 33 – Ethical Behaviour.
The retention period is based on O. Reg. 460, s. 5 (1), which requires that "Personal information that has been used by an institution shall be retained by the institution for at least one year after use unless the individual to whom the information relates consents to its earlier disposal,” and the limitation period under the Human Rights Code (s. 34).
19 December 2011