Records of services to persons seeking psychotherapy and counselling.
This records class is a Personal Information Bank.
Content & Scope
The records include a description of any presenting problem and of any history relevant to the problem, psychological assessment records, diagnoses; goals and treatment plans; notes on counselling sessions; referrals; correspondence; reports; information related to crisis or critical incidents; and payment records.
- Counselling Services
- Centre for Mental Health Research and Treatment.
- Associate Provost, Students, for Counselling Services records.
- Dean of the Faculty of Arts, for Centre for Mental Health Research and Treatment records.
Unless otherwise required by law, 10 years after last contact or or 10 years after 18th birthday for clients under 18 at the time of last contact
Note: Audio or video recordings of counselling sessions are securely destroyed as soon as requirements related to supervision of interns and other trainees have been satisfied.
Responsible Units should document the disposal/destruction of official records using the University records destruction form or equivalent documentation, to verify that we are following our records retention rules.
- University of Waterloo Act, 1972.
- Psychology Act.
- Regulated Health Professions Act.
- College of Psychologists of Ontario Standards of Professional Conduct, section 9.
The retention period is based on The College of Psychologists of Ontario Standards of Professional Conduct, Section 9.4.
19 December 2011